Stem and Leaf Plot for a Dependent Children-Homework Question

• Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Stem
In summary: If you don't have any notes then say so and I'll try to write something up for you.In summary, the task is to arrange the given data into an ordered stem and leaf plot. The data is a list of numbers representing the number of dependent children in 50 families. The minimum and maximum values are 0 and 6, respectively. However, since the data only has single digits, it is not clear how to separate the stem and leaf. One approach is to list all the values in ascending order, showing repeats, in one line. Another approach is to create equal-sized buckets and assign each datum to its corresponding bucket. This can be done by rounding down the datum value divided by 3 and subtracting it
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Homework Statement
The data below is the numbers of dependent children that were recorded in the 50 families' interviews. Arrange the data into an ordered stem and leaf plot.
Relevant Equations
N/a
The exercise is 2.37 in the book, Exploring Statistics: A modern introduction to data analysis and inference by Larry J. Kitchens 2nd editions.

The data is the following:

I know the min and the max values are 0 and 6, respectively. But I am having some trouble with the stem and leave part of the plot. I don't know how to represent the data correctly...

I know that this is the right format:

StemLeaves
Thanks,
cbarker1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cbarker1 said:
Homework Statement:: The data below is the numbers of dependent children that were recorded in the 50 families' interviews. Arrange the data into an ordered stem and leaf plot.
Relevant Equations:: N/a

The exercise is 2.37 in the book, Exploring Statistics: A modern introduction to data analysis and inference by Larry J. Kitchens 2nd editions.

The data is the following:

I know the min and the max values are 0 and 6, respectively. But I am having some trouble with the stem and leave part of the plot. I don't know how to represent the data correctly...

I know that this is the right format:

StemLeaves
Thanks,
cbarker1
All I know about stem and leaf plots is from a quick search online. Looks like you normally have more digits in the each datum and pick power of 10 exponent at which to separate the stem from the leaf. It's not obvious how to implement that when you only have single digits.
At one extreme, everything is a leaf, so just list all the values in ascending order, showing repeats, in one line. At the other, everything is stem and all the leaves are just zeroes (e.g. if there are three occurrences of 4 in the data then stem 4 has three leaves, all 0.
In between, you would need to create equal sized buckets, like 0-2, 3-5, ... For a datum value n, its bucket would be b(n)=rounddown(n/3)*3 and its leaf would be n-b(n).

If you are expected to solve this question then you should have something in your notes on it.

1. What is a stem and leaf plot?

A stem and leaf plot is a type of data visualization that displays the distribution of a set of numerical data. It consists of a stem (usually the tens digit) and a leaf (usually the ones digit) for each data point. The stems are listed in a column and the leaves are listed next to them in a row. This allows for easy comparison of data values and identification of patterns.

2. How do you create a stem and leaf plot?

To create a stem and leaf plot, follow these steps:1. List the stems in a column, with the tens digit on the left.2. Write the corresponding leaves next to their respective stems.3. Order the leaves in increasing order.4. Add a key to indicate the scale of the plot.

3. What is the purpose of a stem and leaf plot?

The purpose of a stem and leaf plot is to provide a visual representation of the distribution of a set of numerical data. It allows for easy identification of patterns, such as the range, median, and mode of the data, as well as any outliers or clusters. It also allows for comparison of data values within the same set.

4. How is a stem and leaf plot different from a histogram?

A stem and leaf plot and a histogram are both types of data visualizations, but they have some key differences. A stem and leaf plot displays the actual data values, while a histogram displays the frequency of data values in each interval. Additionally, a stem and leaf plot allows for easy comparison of data values, while a histogram is better for showing the overall shape of the data distribution.

5. Can a stem and leaf plot be used for non-numerical data?

No, a stem and leaf plot is specifically designed for numerical data. It would not be useful for displaying non-numerical data, such as categories or text. In these cases, other types of data visualizations, such as bar graphs or pie charts, would be more appropriate.