STEM jobs most in demand now in the US and Canada

In summary, the conversation discussed the current state of the global economy due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise in unemployment. Despite these challenges, there are still opportunities available, particularly in the STEM field. The question was posed about which STEM jobs are most in demand in the US and Canada, with a focus on software engineering and information technology being identified as high in demand. Other participants also mentioned the importance of math in STEM careers.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone.

As all of you are aware, the COVID-19 pandemic has had a detrimental impact on the global economy, accompanied by significant job losses and rising number of those who are unemployed.

That being said, even in poor economic times, there are opportunities available. So I would pose to all of you this question:

Which STEM jobs are most in demand right now in the US and Canada?

Aside: I'm focusing on the US and Canada, as I live in Canada, and most people on PF are based in the US. But feel free to provide commentary on the demand for STEM careers elsewhere in the world as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly think not a whole lot has changed in terms of what is considered high in demand, which has been software engineering and information technology. Just my thoughts regarding USA. Math should also be included but maybe not as a standalone thing.

Last edited:

What are the most in demand STEM jobs in the US and Canada?

The most in demand STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) jobs in the US and Canada currently include software developers, data scientists, information security analysts, biomedical engineers, and financial analysts.

What industries have the highest demand for STEM jobs?

Industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and engineering typically have the highest demand for STEM jobs. However, with the increasing use of technology in all industries, STEM jobs are becoming more in demand across the board.

What skills are employers looking for in STEM job candidates?

Employers are typically looking for candidates with strong technical skills, critical thinking abilities, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Effective communication and adaptability are also important qualities for STEM job candidates.

Do STEM jobs offer competitive salaries?

Yes, STEM jobs are known for offering competitive salaries due to the high demand for these skills. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for STEM occupations in 2020 was $91,250, much higher than the median for all occupations.

Are there any resources available for individuals interested in pursuing a career in STEM?

Yes, there are many resources available for individuals interested in pursuing a career in STEM. These include online courses, internships, mentorship programs, and professional organizations. Additionally, many universities offer STEM degree programs and career counseling services for students.