1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What types of jobs are most in demand as of 2013

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi everyone. Given the often contradictory information that is floating around regarding what fields are most/least in demand, I thought I would put this question to the entire Physics Forums community.

What types of jobs are MOST in demand in the US as of 2013? Now please keep in mind that I am asking about ANY types of jobs, not just STEM jobs. Base your answer on what you have heard, from personal experience, on the experiences of those you know personally, or on publications or reports on employment that is reputable or credible. I understand that the information I'm requesting is anecdotal; however, even anecdotes can be useful to at least point to potential sources of information.

For those of you in Physics Forums that are based in Canada, I would like to ask the same question about what types of jobs are MOST in demand in Canada as of 2013.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    Medical coding experts. The demand created by the affordable care act is out of this world. Other medical risk adjustment experts as well.

5. Aug 27, 2013 #4
    The deceptive part about utilities is that although their overall numbers are shrinking due to automation of both billing and control systems, the demand for engineers and other technical workers remains quite strong.

6. Aug 27, 2013 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I would suspect that the engineers and other technical workers you are talking about would fall under the "Professional, scientific, and technical services", which is the second highest in demand field according to the BLS.

7. Aug 27, 2013 #6
    If they were consultants, then I would agree with you. However, I am discussing engineers in context of regular employees of a utility.

8. Aug 29, 2013 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

From what Vanadium 50 posted from the BLS, it appears that the "Professional, scientific and technical services" category is the second highest job category in demand in the US. Now I would suspect that scientists and engineers would fall under this category, but wouldn't "professional services" include lawyers and architects as well?

9. Aug 29, 2013 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook