Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli Equation

In summary, the Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli equation comes from the application of the Pauli vector identity. This identity shows that the momentum operator does not commute with the vector potential, leading to a non-zero term in the equation. This is due to the fact that conventional vector algebra identities do not necessarily hold true for vector operators.
Mantella
Where does the Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli equation come from? Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation. Following wikipedia's steps the Stern Gerlach term pops out when you apply the Pauli vector identity. I don't understand this step. It seems as if there should be no Stern Gerlach term.

Here are my steps starting with the Pauli vector identity,
[itex](\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \boldsymbol{a})(\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \boldsymbol{b}) = \boldsymbol{a} \cdot \boldsymbol{b} + i\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot (\boldsymbol{a} \times \boldsymbol{b})[/itex]

[itex](\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}))^2 = (\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}))(\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A})) = (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A})^2 + i\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot ((\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}) \times (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}))[/itex]

Shouldn't

[itex]\boldsymbol{v} \times \boldsymbol{v} = \boldsymbol{0}[/itex]

and

[itex](\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}))^2 = (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A})^2[/itex]

I did it out in individual components as well, and came to the same conclusion. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost get zero, but you end up with one term because momentum does not commute with the vector potential in general.

[tex]
i\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot ((\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}) \times (\boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A})) = -\hbar e \epsilon_{jkl}\sigma_j \partial_k A_l = - e \hbar \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{B}
[/tex]

I used p = -i hbar ∇. If you look back over your work when you did the calculation by components, you'll probably find the step where you moved the momentum operator past the vector potential.

Note that unlike in conventional vector algebra, in this algebra of vector operators
##\mathbf{p}\times \mathbf{A} + \mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{p} \neq 0 ##

$$[\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{p}]_i = \sum_{jk} \epsilon_{ijk}A_jp_k = \sum_{jk} \epsilon_{ijk}p_kA_j - [p_k, A_j] = \sum_{jk} \epsilon_{ijk}p_kA_j +i\hbar \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_k} $$ $$\mathbf{p}\times \mathbf{A} + \mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{p}= i\hbar \nabla \times \mathbf{A} $$

An important takeaway from this is that identities from vector calculus will not always be true for vector operators.

Edit: Have I made a sign error?

Last edited:

What is the Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli Equation?

The Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli Equation refers to the term that describes the interaction between a spin-1/2 particle and an inhomogeneous magnetic field. It is named after Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach, who first observed the phenomenon in their famous experiment in 1922.

How does the Stern Gerlach term affect the behavior of spin-1/2 particles?

The Stern Gerlach term causes the spin-1/2 particles to align themselves in either the up or down state, depending on the direction of the magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as spin quantization and is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the Stern Gerlach term in quantum mechanics?

The Stern Gerlach term is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of spin as an intrinsic property of particles, in addition to their mass and charge. This discovery led to the development of the concept of spin and its important role in quantum mechanics.

How does the Stern Gerlach experiment demonstrate the existence of spin?

The Stern Gerlach experiment involved passing a beam of silver atoms through an inhomogeneous magnetic field. The resulting split of the beam into two distinct paths was evidence of the two possible spin states of the particles. This experiment provided the first direct evidence of the existence of spin in particles.

Can the Stern Gerlach term be applied to particles other than spin-1/2 particles?

The Stern Gerlach term was originally observed in spin-1/2 particles, but it can also be applied to particles with higher spin values. In fact, the experiment has been repeated with particles such as protons and neutrons, which have spin values of 1/2 and 1, respectively. The results have been consistent with the predictions of the Stern Gerlach term in the Pauli Equation.