1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stick with C++ or learn something different?

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Hi. I am finishing my last year in High School and I have a question about programming. For a year or two I had been taught Free Pascal but the last year (grade 12) we have been taught some C++. My C++ knowledge is not as wide as it could or probably should be but I am familiar with the basics of cycles, arrays and other aspects of this level. However, I have not really touched on strings.

Moving on to my question: should I deepen my knowledge in C++ (and if so, what topics and things should I learn that would help me with physics simulations) or should I move onto another, maybe a better physics oriented language?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    C++ is a fine language to learn. It allows you to program in various paradigms, allows you to make very efficient programs and is widely used. However, it is a very large language, and, it has a lot of features that only serve to maintain compatibility with old standards.
    But, if you stick to STL, i think its pretty easy to learn.

Another language I can recommend you is Python. Its easy to learn and very fun to program in and allows for prettier programs than C++.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do a forum search. This topic gets discussed here frequently and at length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook