1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stiffness in mass spring system

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What happens to the frequency of oscillation if stiffness increases and why?

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Frequency increases but trying to figure out why.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2
    By stiffness I'm assuming you mean the spring constant, often known as k. It's found in Hooke's law F = -kx where F is the force the spring is exerting and x is the distance from the equilibrium point.

Don't you have some equations relating the frequency of the oscillations of the spring-mass system and the spring constant of the spring?

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    a=[2pie f]^2x. So if k increases f increases which increases a(acceleration) and according to the formula given at the start frequency increases. If that make sense:blushing:

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4
    [itex]a = \left( 2 \pi f\right)^{2x}[/itex] ?

I don't recognize that equation >.> I'm very sorry

do you recognize

[itex]x \left( t \right) = Acos \left( \omega t - \phi \right)[/itex]

where

[itex]\omega = \sqrt{ \frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

is the angular frequency of the oscillation, A is the amplitude and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the phase shift?

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    Its a = \left( 2 \pi f\right)^{2} x.
    I dint knew the 2nd equation but i get it now. stiffness is proportional to frequency according to that.but does the natural frequency of spring increases as well?

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6
    [itex]a = \left( 2 \pi f\right)^{2}x[/itex] makes much more sense :)

angular frequency is just the natural frequency times 2π

or

[itex] \omega = 2 \pi f[/itex]

8. Nov 16, 2012 #7
    Thanks alot:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook