Stirling approximation for gamma function

In summary, the formula \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{\sqrt{2\pi x}\big(\frac{x}{e}\big)^x} = 1 can be proven using the Method of Steepest Descent and the asymptotic series for the gamma function. However, the convergence of the Taylor series of logarithm must be considered in order for the proof to be valid.
jostpuur
How to prove that this formula is correct:

[tex]
\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{\sqrt{2\pi x}\big(\frac{x}{e}\big)^x} = 1
[/tex]

I have seen a proof for this:

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n!}{\sqrt{2\pi n}\big(\frac{n}{e}\big)^n} = 1
[/tex]

but it cannot be generalized easily for gamma function. The proof goes through first proving

[tex]
\pi = \lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{1}{k}\frac{2\cdot 2 \cdot 4 \cdot 4 \cdots (2k)\cdot (2k)}{1\cdot 1 \cdot 3 \cdot 3 \cdots (2k-1)\cdot (2k-1)}
[/tex]

by using integration by parts on certain powers of sine.

It should be noted that the generalization to the gamma function is not trivial merely because the gamma function happens to grow continuously and monotonically. For example, if we set a continuous and monotonic function [itex]f:[0,\infty[\to [0,\infty[[/itex] so that [itex]f(n)=n![/itex], but [itex]f(n+\delta)\approx (n+1)![/itex] with small delta, then the expression

[tex]
\frac{f(x)}{\sqrt{2\pi x}\big(\frac{x}{e}\big)^x}
[/tex]

would not converge towards anything.

Wikipedia page mentions something about the gamma function here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling's_approximation, but I don't understand how the logarithm of gamma function [itex]\log(\Gamma(z))[/itex] is calculated there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is deriving the denominator sufficient? If so, use the Method of Steepest Descent. Conveniently, the wikipedia article on it has the derivation of Sterling's formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_steepest_descent

I suspect you can probably use that anyways by deriving the asymptotic series for the gamma function. You probably have to be careful though, as I don't believe that series converges. I forget the exact conditions... Something about if you cut the series off at a finite number of terms, then for larger N you get a better approximation? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptotic_series

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'll try to make that rigor, and I don't think it's going to be impossible. The problem is that the Taylor series of logarithm don't converge everywhere, but in the expression

[tex]
\Gamma(x) = \int\limit_0^{\infty} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt = (x-1)^x \int\limits_0^{\infty} e^{(x-1)(\log(u) - u)} du
[/tex]

the integral, over the area where the Taylor series of logarithm don't converge, should vanish in the limit [itex]x\to\infty[/itex].

Or then it doesn't vanish, but approaches the infinity sufficiently slower than the relevant part of the integral.

Last edited:

1. What is the Stirling approximation for the gamma function?

The Stirling approximation is a mathematical formula used to approximate the value of the gamma function for large values of its input. It is given by:
n! ≈ √(2πn)(n/e)^n

2. How accurate is the Stirling approximation for the gamma function?

The Stirling approximation is accurate up to an error of O(1/n), which means that as the input value gets larger, the error becomes smaller. For example, for n = 100, the error is approximately 0.09%.

3. What is the advantage of using the Stirling approximation for the gamma function?

The advantage of using the Stirling approximation is that it provides a simpler and more computationally efficient method for calculating the value of the gamma function for large numbers. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of expressions involving the gamma function.

4. Can the Stirling approximation be used for all values of the gamma function?

No, the Stirling approximation is only valid for large values of the input, typically n > 10. For smaller values, it may not provide an accurate approximation and other methods should be used.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Stirling approximation for the gamma function?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Stirling approximation, as it is an approximation and not an exact solution. It may introduce some error in the calculation of the gamma function, especially for values close to singularities or poles. Additionally, it is only applicable to real values of the gamma function, and cannot be used for complex inputs.