Stirling's approximation limit problem

In summary, to solve the given limits to infinity, Stirling's approximation can be used as a method to simplify the calculations. Another possible method is to approximate (2n)! as (2n)2(2n-2)2 ... 22.
nitai108
Hi, I don't undestand this limits to infinity.

[ (2n)! / (n!)^2 ]^1/n

and

[ ( n^n + 2^n ) / (n! + 3^n) ]^1/n

I've absolutely no idea how the first one can be "4", and the seconda one "e". Assuming (1 + 1/n)^n = e I don't see how can I go from that form to this one. Any hint is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi nitai108! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
nitai108 said:
[ (2n)! / (n!)^2 ]^1/n

Hint: what, approximately, is (2n)! / n! ?
[ ( n^n + 2^n ) / (n! + 3^n) ]^1/n

Hint: which bits of the top and the bottom can you ignore? :wink:

To evaluate the first limit I would use Stirling's approximation, namely that [tex] n! \approx n^{n}e^{-n} [/tex] (and [tex] (2n)! \approx (2n)^{2n}e^{-2n} [/tex]) for large n.

Last edited:

For the second limit, do what tiny-tim suggested and then use Stirling's approximation.

Thanks tiny-tim, and thanks Random Variable, I did solve them pretty easily with the Stirling's approximation.

Is there any other way to solve them, without Stirling's approx.?

nitai108 said:
Is there any other way to solve them, without Stirling's approx.?

The first one, you could say (2n)! is approximately (2n)2(2n-2)2 … 22

(but you'd have to prove that rigorously)

… which makes it fairly easy :wink:

Ok, thanks a lot.

What is Stirling's approximation limit problem?

Stirling's approximation limit problem is a mathematical problem related to the estimation of factorials of large numbers. It was first posed by the Scottish mathematician James Stirling in the 18th century.

What is the significance of Stirling's approximation limit problem?

Stirling's approximation limit problem has many applications in mathematics, statistics, and physics. It is used to approximate the value of factorials in situations where calculating the exact value is not feasible.

What is the formula for Stirling's approximation?

The formula for Stirling's approximation is n! ≈ √(2πn) * (n/e)^n, where n is a large number and e is the Euler's number (approximately equal to 2.71828).

What is the range of values for which Stirling's approximation is accurate?

Stirling's approximation is most accurate when n is large. As n increases, the accuracy of the approximation also increases. However, for very small values of n, the approximation may not be accurate.

Are there any limitations to Stirling's approximation?

Yes, there are some limitations to Stirling's approximation. It is only accurate for large values of n and may not work well for small values. It also does not provide an exact value, but rather an approximation. Additionally, the error in the approximation increases as n increases.