Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stolen Physics Nobel Prize sheesh

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1

rhody

Gold Member

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2010/04/16/harvard_professors_nobel_prize_stolen/" [Broken]
    The thief sounds like a "real genius" too, hope Dr Gluber gets his Nobel back soon, has this ever happened before ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_J._Glauber" [Broken]
    Rhody... :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
    Just what does a Nobel Prize look like? A gilded stick of dynamite?

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Like http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/medal.html" [Broken], quite impressive, it is a medal.

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I'm glad I don't live in Skowhegan anymore. I'd be ashamed to admit it after that moron's actions.

6. Apr 16, 2010 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Eyes.. can not unsee what they have seen. That made my day right there.

7. Apr 16, 2010 #6
    I think that the person may not have known what exactly it was they were taking. From the looks of things they were scraping by in life... of course a freaking huge shiny medal with latin inscriptions is going to be attractive since it would most likely sell for a lot of money.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  8. Apr 16, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It would only be good for scrap-gold price since it would be instantly identifiable. If he hocked it at a pawn shop, the owner had better take cover because the thief will likely crack really quick if the DA offerers him a plea-bargain in return for helping recover the loot.

9. Apr 16, 2010 #8
    I don't think you understood my post.

10. Apr 16, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You mean that you think the thief is so ignorant that he wouldn't recognize "Nobel" on the medal and figure it out? He'd have to be way out-of-touch. Of course, if he was stupid enough to to buy food with his food-assistance card and leave the receipt in the house he burglarized, he might actually BE that ignorant.

11. Apr 16, 2010 #10
    As far as I know it looks like a 'regular' minted coin. One side has Alfred Nobels face with I think a date inscription in Roman numerals and on the other side is what rhody posted with a latin inscription. This is assuming this person even checked OUT the medal in the first place. If I were that desperate and I saw a huge shiny gold medal I'd take it, why bother reading that?

Also you seem to be under the assumption that everyone knows who Alfred Nobel is and what a Nobel prize medal is etc. Some people don't even KNOW about the existence of Nobel prizes, rofl.

I think it's entirely plausible that this person just took the medal probably to attempt to sell it.

12. Apr 16, 2010 #11
    The Nobel prize isn't so well known. And it has became a joke, so no one really reports it.

Hell I thought it looked like a grammy award, not like some Chinese coin.

13. Apr 16, 2010 #12
    I've met people who don't know what a periodic table is, so it doesn't surprise me that someone wouldn't know what a Nobel Prize is. I've even had a guy ask me if I believe in robots.
    Never underestimate how ignorant people can be. There's lots of adults who can't even read.

14. Apr 16, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

The Nobel prize in physics is the highest award in the field, so it's hardly a joke. And the medallion that accompanies the prize looks like a very heavy minted coin with Nobel's face in profile, and his name in relief under his chin. It is 100% for certain that any pawn-shop operator would know exactly what he was holding. Those guys don't stay in business by being ignorant.

15. Apr 16, 2010 #14
    Who cares what the pawn shop people think? I haven't read anyone even talk about pawn shops let alone the competence of the shop owners aside from you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook