Predictions for Physics Nobel Prize 2024 (and the results)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pines-demon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nobel prize Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
37 replies · 14K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pines-demon said:
Edit: My safe predictions for chemistry is AI for proteins.
I least I got a prediction right, but it was not very difficult after yesterday's announcement.
 
Hinton's press conference interview about the award is pretty downbeat.



Quite a bit of discussion about AI risk and safety.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pines-demon and bhobba
EDMM2 said:
Hinton's press conference interview about the award is pretty downbeat.
Here is the equivalent press conference for Hopfield:



He also raises awareness on AI.
Additionally, he tackles the question of where is the physics in artificial networks, I consider that he provides a compelling response.
 
Thanks for that.

I think they both recognized that their selection would be somewhat controversial.
 
As the moderators did not allowed me to close this thread, I will share here the Nobel lectures by Hopfield and Hinton: