Straight Line Kinematics Problem

In summary, a baseball pitcher throws a ball at a speed of 47m/s and the catcher pulls his hand back through a distance of 0.035m in the process of making the catch. Assuming constant acceleration, the acceleration of the ball as it was being caught is 31557 m/s2. This answer may seem unrealistic, but it can be assessed by comparing the force required to stop the ball to the weight of something.
cvc121

Homework Statement

[/B]
A baseball pitcher throws a ball at a speed of 47m/s. When the catcher receives the ball, he pulls his hand back through a distance of 0.035m in the process of making the catch. What was the acceleration of the ball as it was being caught, assuming the acceleration was constant. What was the acceleration of the ball as it was being caught?, assuming the acceleration was constant.

Homework Equations

v22 = v12 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

472 = 02 + 2(a)(0.035)
a = 472 / (2)(0.035)
a = 31557 m/s2

*I think my answer is totally unrealistic. I am not sure how to deal with the hand being pulled back 0.035m in the process of making the catch. Do I also need to calculate the distance traveled before making the catch?

Thanks! All help is very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You answer is correct. What makes you think it isn't? The balls going around 170 km/hr, To stop in just 35 mm takes tremendous acceleration.

cvc121 said:
Do I also need to calculate the distance traveled before making the catch?
There's no way to do that. You don't have enough information.

To assess how realistic it is, determine the force. I gather a baseball has a mass of around 0.15kg. Compare the force with the weight of something.

1. What is Straight Line Kinematics?

Straight Line Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a straight line, without taking into consideration the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the key principles of Straight Line Kinematics?

The key principles of Straight Line Kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These principles help us describe and analyze the motion of objects in a straight line.

3. What is displacement in Straight Line Kinematics?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point to its ending point. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

4. How is velocity calculated in Straight Line Kinematics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of length per time, such as meters per second or feet per second.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity in Straight Line Kinematics?

In Straight Line Kinematics, speed is a scalar quantity that only describes how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of motion. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.