Pitcher Throwing A Ball In Protest

• Thread starter Warmacblu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the net force on the ball is 6.5 N and the force applied by the pitcher is 8.15 N, taking into account the force of gravity which is negative.
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

As a protest against the umpire's calls, a baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up into the air at a speed of 11.4 m/s. In the process, he moves his hand through a distance of 1.68 m.

Acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

If the ball has a mass of 0.168 kg, find the force he exerts on the ball to give it this upward speed. Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

F = ma

A kinematic equation, not sure which one though.

The Attempt at a Solution

F = ma
F = .168 kg * (11.4 / 1.68) = 1.14

F = ma
F = .168 kg * (1.68 / 11.4) = .025

I did look at old threads regarding this question but cannot understand the hints. I guess I need to find a proper acceleration taking into account all the forces acting upon the ball but I do not know which kinematic equation to use.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Warmacblu said:

Homework Statement

As a protest against the umpire's calls, a baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up into the air at a speed of 11.4 m/s. In the process, he moves his hand through a distance of 1.68 m.
Try using an energy approach. What is the kinetic energy of the ball when it leaves the pitcher's hand? How does that relate to the force applied by the pitcher over the 1.68 m. distance? Be careful to include the force of gravity and the increase in potential energy over that distance.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Try using an energy approach. What is the kinetic energy of the ball when it leaves the pitcher's hand? How does that relate to the force applied by the pitcher over the 1.68 m. distance? Be careful to include the force of gravity and the increase in potential energy over that distance.

AM

We haven't really discussed energy yet which could contribute to why I am having difficulty understanding this problem.

However, I looked ahead a bit and found that k = 1/2mv2.

I do not know if that v is initial velocity or not and I do not know how I can relate it to the force if I can't figure out an acceleration for the force equation.

Look for a kinematic equation that relates velocity and distance.

Doc Al said:
Look for a kinematic equation that relates velocity and distance.

I believe this is the one:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a (Xf - Xi)

Warmacblu said:
I believe this is the one:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a (Xf - Xi)
That's the one you need. Assume that the ball starts from rest.

Doc Al said:
That's the one you need. Assume that the ball starts from rest.

Okay, here's what I did:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a (Xf - Xi)

0 = 11.4 + 2a (1.68)
a = -11.4 / (2 * 1.68)
a = -3.39

I don't think I can just plug this into F = ma because I haven't taken gravity into consideration, but I don't know where to take that into account.

Warmacblu said:
Okay, here's what I did:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a (Xf - Xi)

0 = 11.4 + 2a (1.68)
a = -11.4 / (2 * 1.68)
a = -3.39
You forgot to square the velocity. And you have the wrong sign because you mixed up Vi and Vf. (Vi = 0.)

I don't think I can just plug this into F = ma because I haven't taken gravity into consideration, but I don't know where to take that into account.
Using F = ma will tell you the net force. You'll need to solve for the force the player exerts on the ball, taking into account that gravity also acts on the ball.

Doc Al said:
You forgot to square the velocity. And you have the wrong sign because you mixed up Vi and Vf. (Vi = 0.)

Using F = ma will tell you the net force. You'll need to solve for the force the player exerts on the ball, taking into account that gravity also acts on the ball.

Okay, here's what I have now:

Vi2 = Vf2 + 2a (1.68)
11.42 = 0 + 2a (1.68)
129.96 = 2a (1.68)
a = 38.68 + (-9.8)
a = 28.88

F = ma
F = .168 * 28.88
F = 4.85

How does that look? Is my math and gravity assumption correct?

Warmacblu said:
Okay, here's what I have now:

Vi2 = Vf2 + 2a (1.68)
11.42 = 0 + 2a (1.68)
129.96 = 2a (1.68)
So far, so good. Solve for a.
a = 38.68 + (-9.8)
a = 28.88
Do not try to take shortcuts! Solve for a, find the net force, then worry about the force of gravity

Hint: Two forces act on the ball, which combine to give you the net force.

Doc Al said:
So far, so good. Solve for a.

Do not try to take shortcuts! Solve for a, find the net force, then worry about the force of gravity

Hint: Two forces act on the ball, which combine to give you the net force.

Vi2 = Vf2 + 2a (1.68)
11.42 = 0 + 2a (1.68)
129.96 = 2a (1.68)
77.36 = 2a
a = 38.68

F = ma
F = .168 * 38.68
F = 6.50

Now, to worry about the force of gravity.

F = ma
F = .168 * (-9.8) = -1.65

So ...

6.50 + (-1.65) = 4.85

However, I am unsure if gravity should be negative or not:

F = ma
F = .168 * 9.8 = 1.65

So ...

6.50 + 1.65 = 8.15

I need a little bit of reinforcement (explanation) on what sign gravity should have in this problem.

Warmacblu said:
Vi2 = Vf2 + 2a (1.68)
11.42 = 0 + 2a (1.68)
129.96 = 2a (1.68)
77.36 = 2a
a = 38.68

F = ma
F = .168 * 38.68
F = 6.50
Good. The net force on the ball is 6.5 N. (Since that force is upward, let's call it positive.)

Now, to worry about the force of gravity.

F = ma
F = .168 * (-9.8) = -1.65
OK, the weight is 1.65 N downward, so negative.

So ...

6.50 + (-1.65) = 4.85
Here's where you went wrong.

Think this way:
Net Force = Force of Pitcher (upward) + Force of gravity (downward)
+ 6.5 = Fp - 1.65

solve for Fp:
Fp = 6.5 + 1.65

Okay, I understand now. Thanks for all the help.

What is the purpose of a pitcher throwing a ball in protest?

The purpose of a pitcher throwing a ball in protest is to show their disagreement with a call made by the umpire. This is a way for the pitcher to express their frustration or disagreement with a particular play or ruling.

Is throwing a ball in protest considered a violation of the rules?

Yes, throwing a ball in protest is considered a violation of the rules and can result in a penalty for the pitcher. According to the Major League Baseball (MLB) rulebook, any player who deliberately throws a ball in anger or protest will be ejected from the game.

What happens if a pitcher throws a ball in protest?

If a pitcher throws a ball in protest, they will be immediately ejected from the game. This means they will have to leave the field and cannot continue playing. Additionally, the team may receive a penalty or fine for the pitcher's actions.

Are there any exceptions to the rule of throwing a ball in protest?

No, there are no exceptions to the rule of throwing a ball in protest. Even if the pitcher feels strongly about a call, they are not allowed to throw the ball in protest. This rule applies to all levels of baseball, from youth leagues to professional leagues.

What other methods can a pitcher use to express disagreement with a call?

There are several other methods a pitcher can use to express disagreement with a call, such as talking to the umpire, talking to their coach, or gesturing to their teammates. However, throwing a ball in protest is not one of the acceptable methods and can result in ejection from the game.