1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Straight question on experience

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1
    I have been working with projects that use Cobol, BAP and Smalltalk as mainstream programming tools for a decade. Now that my company is going bankrupt and my fate is coming to an end where I have to start from scratch, perhaps. I visit several websites to seek jobs in and out of my area but all need on hands experience in dotNet, Java only. An idea to apply *magics* into my CV crops up in my mind that I might have to be *creative* about what I have done previously. Because I know a mouse can't be considered as a bunny. Would someone please explain the magical transformation I need to perform on things in my CV such that I can make the best of me to be applicable for the job I might be interested in ? Perhaps I should give it all up in despair to be more accepting of what I might be able to make any changes to get a better 'me', a better future from now.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I understand it can be tempting to expand on your actual skill set for the purposes of landing a job. But I think the key issue that will come back around on you is that there is a very good chance you'll eventually be faced with a question along the lines of "tell us about a challenging project using skill X that you successfully completed.

If you don't have an answer for that, despite claiming skill in X, then you're not going to be likely to land the job.

Nor are you likely to feel very good about yourself in the process.

So what can you do?

Well, with programing skills, one option is to actually start developing those skills on your own. Pick a project, maybe even a simple one at first, and start building something. That way, you'll have actual experience to draw on in an interview and maybe even something to show your potential employers.

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Where are you located? There is a significant demand for COBOL programmers in California at least because of so many people retiring. I would double-down on what you're good at. I think you'll be better off as "10+ years COBOL", than "Taught myself C# after hours". You have to market yourself.

5. Aug 27, 2013 #4
    Thank you so very much for your post. That is really helpful.

6. Sep 1, 2013 #5
    Smalltalk is a really cool language, being "pure object oriented", and all. Why not take choppys advice? Why not translate one of its really cool tools/applications into Java through some kind of "open source" project? You should find Java a doddle to learn & use with Smalltalk experience. Squeak is an open source Smalltalk, so you should be able to find things to translate, without breaking copyright. Are there no specific Smalltalk skills in demand anywhere these days? There was a lot of fuss about "Seaside" a few years ago, did that not pan out? The Smalltalk job market is a bit underground, so get into Smalltalk forums and poke around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook