Straight question on experience

• Thread starter inotyce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the speaker has been working with Cobol, BAP, and Smalltalk for a decade but is now facing the prospect of starting over due to their company going bankrupt. They have been searching for jobs online but most require experience in dotNet or Java. The speaker is considering embellishing their skills on their CV but acknowledges the potential consequences of not being able to back up those claims in an interview. The suggested solution is to start developing skills on their own by working on a project to gain actual experience and have something to show potential employers. Additionally, they are encouraged to explore the demand for Smalltalk skills and possibly participate in open source projects.
inotyce
I have been working with projects that use Cobol, BAP and Smalltalk as mainstream programming tools for a decade. Now that my company is going bankrupt and my fate is coming to an end where I have to start from scratch, perhaps. I visit several websites to seek jobs in and out of my area but all need on hands experience in dotNet, Java only. An idea to apply *magics* into my CV crops up in my mind that I might have to be *creative* about what I have done previously. Because I know a mouse can't be considered as a bunny. Would someone please explain the magical transformation I need to perform on things in my CV such that I can make the best of me to be applicable for the job I might be interested in ? Perhaps I should give it all up in despair to be more accepting of what I might be able to make any changes to get a better 'me', a better future from now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand it can be tempting to expand on your actual skill set for the purposes of landing a job. But I think the key issue that will come back around on you is that there is a very good chance you'll eventually be faced with a question along the lines of "tell us about a challenging project using skill X that you successfully completed.

If you don't have an answer for that, despite claiming skill in X, then you're not going to be likely to land the job.

Nor are you likely to feel very good about yourself in the process.

So what can you do?

Well, with programing skills, one option is to actually start developing those skills on your own. Pick a project, maybe even a simple one at first, and start building something. That way, you'll have actual experience to draw on in an interview and maybe even something to show your potential employers.

Likes 1 person
Where are you located? There is a significant demand for COBOL programmers in California at least because of so many people retiring. I would double-down on what you're good at. I think you'll be better off as "10+ years COBOL", than "Taught myself C# after hours". You have to market yourself.

Likes 1 person
Choppy said:
I understand it can be tempting to expand on your actual skill set for the purposes of landing a job. But I think the key issue that will come back around on you is that there is a very good chance you'll eventually be faced with a question along the lines of "tell us about a challenging project using skill X that you successfully completed.

If you don't have an answer for that, despite claiming skill in X, then you're not going to be likely to land the job.

Nor are you likely to feel very good about yourself in the process.

So what can you do?

Well, with programing skills, one option is to actually start developing those skills on your own. Pick a project, maybe even a simple one at first, and start building something. That way, you'll have actual experience to draw on in an interview and maybe even something to show your potential employers.
Thank you so very much for your post. That is really helpful.

Smalltalk is a really cool language, being "pure object oriented", and all. Why not take choppys advice? Why not translate one of its really cool tools/applications into Java through some kind of "open source" project? You should find Java a doddle to learn & use with Smalltalk experience. Squeak is an open source Smalltalk, so you should be able to find things to translate, without breaking copyright. Are there no specific Smalltalk skills in demand anywhere these days? There was a lot of fuss about "Seaside" a few years ago, did that not pan out? The Smalltalk job market is a bit underground, so get into Smalltalk forums and poke around.

1. What is the importance of experience in science?

Experience is crucial in science as it allows researchers to gain practical knowledge and skills in conducting experiments and interpreting results. It also helps scientists to develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities that are essential for making advancements in their field.

2. How does one gain experience in science?

Experience in science can be gained through various means such as conducting experiments in a laboratory, attending scientific conferences and workshops, collaborating with other scientists, and working on research projects. It can also be gained through practical training and internships.

3. Can experience in one field of science be applied to another?

Yes, experience in one field of science can be applied to another. While the specific techniques and methods may differ, the general principles and approaches used in scientific research are similar across different fields. Scientists can also learn new skills and adapt their existing knowledge to different areas of science.

4. How does experience impact the validity of scientific findings?

Experience plays a vital role in ensuring the validity of scientific findings. Scientists with experience are better equipped to design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and draw accurate conclusions. Their experience also allows them to identify potential flaws in their research and make necessary adjustments to ensure the reliability of their findings.

5. Is experience more important than theoretical knowledge in science?

Both experience and theoretical knowledge are essential in science. While theoretical knowledge provides the foundation for understanding scientific concepts, experience allows scientists to apply that knowledge in practical situations. A balance of both is necessary for making meaningful contributions to scientific research.