Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange behavior of Forum text editor

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    I started a post with the word "Electric". After submission, the post started with the word "electric". I tried to capitalize "electric" three times, and the text editor thrice changed it to "electric". Well. if ee cummings can do it, i can too.

bob s

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's because you've got automatic library linking turned on. Turn it off in your user control panel, and that will work.

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I will hazard a guess that using the [noparse][noparse][/noparse] tags around the word electric, i.e. [noparse][noparse]Electric[/noparse][/noparse] will not trigger the autolink feature and the capitalization will be preserved.

I'm trying it here: [noparse]Electric[/noparse] . Yup, seems to work.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It shouldn't happen with "electric" on its own, since there isn't a library entry with that name.

It can happen with "electric field", "electric displacement field, or "electric units".

A quick way to stop it is to type the word/phrase in black each time: Electric field Electric field :wink:

Or place it at the start of a line (other than the first line), since that puts it after a return tag, which spoils the autolinking (conversely, if you want the autolinking at the start of a line, insert a space first:
    Electric units :redface:
    Electric units :smile:).

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[noparse][noparse][/noparse] did not work for me. Here is an example. [noparse]Torque[/noparse] is moment. But enclosing the word in [noparse]Word[/noparse] does work. Here is an example. Stress and pressure have like units. Here is the same sentence without enclosing the first word in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Stress and pressure have like units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook