Strange pattern on a concrete paved surface

In summary, this conversation found that the object is some sort of living organism, but it is following a great pattern while growing. It may be a slime mold aggregating (or perhaps a fungus coming together to make a mushroom or other fruiting body), and it might be fluorescent.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I found this funny pattern in a slightly damp concrete paved parking area. Any ideas what it is?
strange pattern.jpg
Detail :

strange_1.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor, atyy and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Can be either white mold (growing from some organic remains below the concrete) or efflorescence. Can't tell by that picture. Maybe the former, since looks organic and kind of organized too.

Slime mold?

Likes BillTre
Reminded me of Lichtenberg figures.

Looks like some living organism, but it is following a great pattern while growing. I can see some blue spots elsewhere on the concrete surface.

A Google search reveals that bacterial growth may sometimes follow fractal geometry.

Do you know any lab where you can send a sample for finding out what organism it is?

Wrichik Basu said:
Do you know any lab where you can send a sample for finding out what organism it is?
Maybe I can contact the biology department at Gujarat University (I'm in Ahmedabad, India).

But that may take a while, so I could try putting a sample into a dish with some soil and humus to keep the colony active. But it may not be there when I go there tomorrow because it's a place where people are likely to step on it (it's between two parking bays).

Likes atyy and BillTre
Don't handle without gloves. It might be unsafe

Likes Wrichik Basu
Appear to be a salt efflorescence, nothing unusual or strange.

Likes Filip Larsen and BillTre
I like it. Very photogenic.
I'm betting its organic, but can't tell from the pictures.

See what it looks like in a day or two.
In the picture, it looks like it is on top of the cement rather than within it. Yes?
It may be getting bigger, possibly growing but could be an inorganic getting larger too.
If its a slime mold aggregating (or perhaps a fungus coming together to make a mushroom or other fruiting body), it could get smaller and more concentrated where it is converging to.
It might be fluorescent, try a black lite at night.
Biological stains would also be interesting if you have any around.
I like @Swamp Thing's idea of putting a sample on potential media.
Put some dilute bleach on a small part of it and see what happens. Should kill live things.
Does water dissolve it? Inorganic salts?
Have a decent microscope? If so put some under that and look for cells.

Likes Spinnor and Swamp Thing
I managed to shoot this makeshift macro:

If it is mineral efflorescence, how would those globules form? One possibility is that the tree branches out into whiskery dendrites, but at some point some droplets of dew nucleate onto the tips of the whiskers. A little salt could dissolve into the dew, which leaves a globule when it evaporates.

Or maybe it's just that the COVID has teamed up with some fungus or mold ... the Day of the Dendrids?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes atyy
Looks organic to me.

A Google image search for 'slime molds" came up with,

1601413657278.png

Some similarities.

1601413890694.png

1601414059075.png

See if it dissolves in water, I don't think a slime mold would but the efflorescence would. The textures of both would be quite different, one is slimy the other is a dryish powder?

Likes Wrichik Basu, Rive, Swamp Thing and 1 other person

What could be causing the strange pattern on the concrete surface?

There are several potential causes for strange patterns on a concrete surface. One possibility is that the concrete was not properly poured or cured, resulting in uneven and inconsistent texture. Another possibility is that there was debris or other foreign objects on the surface when the concrete was poured, leaving behind impressions. Weather conditions and environmental factors such as temperature and moisture can also affect the appearance of concrete surfaces.

Is the strange pattern a sign of damage or deterioration?

Not necessarily. While some patterns on concrete surfaces may be indicative of cracks or other types of damage, others may simply be superficial and have no impact on the structural integrity of the surface. It is important to have a professional assess the situation to determine the cause and potential implications of the strange pattern.

Can the strange pattern be repaired?

In many cases, yes. Depending on the cause of the pattern, it may be possible to repair or resurface the concrete to improve its appearance. This may involve filling in cracks or leveling out uneven areas. However, if the pattern is a result of significant damage or structural issues, more extensive repairs may be required.

How can I prevent strange patterns from appearing on concrete surfaces?

The best way to prevent strange patterns on concrete surfaces is to ensure proper preparation and installation. This includes properly grading and compacting the subgrade, using quality materials, and following best practices for pouring and finishing. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent patterns from forming.

Are there any health or safety concerns associated with the strange pattern?

In most cases, no. However, if the strange pattern is the result of mold, mildew, or other types of biological growth, it could pose a health risk. It is important to address and remove any potential hazards as soon as possible to prevent further growth and potential health issues.