What is the total amount of paving in the US?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CPW
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
CPW
Messages
51
Reaction score
30
TL;DR
Amount of paving in the United States - surprising stat
While commuting I'm listening to The Great Courses "How the Earth Works" lecture series, and in one lecture the professor stated that the amount of paving (asphalt on the ground, buildings, concrete, etc.) in the United States is now greater than the area of the state of Ohio. The lectures were recorded in 2008.

I was unsuccessful in my short internet search to find a website to update the 2019 version of this statistic. Do any PF members know the current situation for the total amount of paving in the US?

What made me think to post this question to PF was when I heard my iPhone navigation instruct me to "stay in the left 4 lanes", which is telling of how wide the interstate gets during part of my daily commute.
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org