Strange simultaneous eqution problem?

• Thread starter smileandbehappy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of equations with three variables and finding the values of k that make the solution invalid. The methods of elimination, matrix equations, and Cayley's method are mentioned as possible ways to solve the equations. The conversation also discusses the use of elementary row operations and provides a link for a 3 x 3 example of elimination. The solution to a quadratic equation is mentioned as being involved in finding the invalid values of k.
smileandbehappy
I have a few of these to do so would appretiate if someone could explain this to me as i am stumped.

Find in terms of k a solution to the equations,

x+y+kz=4
x-2y-z=1
kx+7y+5z=10

For what values of k is this solution not valid?

Man thanks in advance for any help given.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
smileandbehappy said:
I have a few of these to do so would appretiate if someone could explain this to me as i am stumped.

Find in terms of k a solution to the equations,

x+y+kz=4
x-2y-z=1
kx+7y+5z=10

For what values of k is this solution not valid?

Man thanks in advance for any help given.
Doesn't look strange to me, looks like a fairly typical problem.

How you would do it depends upon how you want to solve simultaneous linear equations! Some people might eliminate one variable at a time. If you do it that way, you will want to keep track divisions by a quantity involving k. For what values of k would you be dividing by 0? Others might set it up as a matrix equation and find the inverse of the coefficient matrix. For what values of k does that matrix not have an inverse? Still others might use Cayley's method: each solution is a fraction in which the denominator is the determinant formed by the coefficients. For what values of k is that determinant equal to 0? Of course, a little reflection will show you that all of those methods are really the same thing!

OK then. Will you show me how to do the elimination method?

smileandbehappy said:
OK then. Will you show me how to do the elimination method?

Use elementary row operations, at least to put into, ?triangular form? What course are you studying? If linear algebra, then the system should be easy to solve. You could read about one or two methods from an intermediate algebra book just as well.

This link takes you through a 3 x 3 example of elimination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_elimination

This problem is quite straightforward. There are two values of z (both whole numbers) that result in no solution. The solution to a quadratic equation is involved.

What is a simultaneous equation problem?

A simultaneous equation problem is a mathematical problem that involves two or more equations that need to be solved together to find the values of the unknown variables.

What makes a simultaneous equation problem "strange"?

A simultaneous equation problem can be considered "strange" if it involves unusual or unexpected conditions or if it has more than two unknown variables.

How do you solve a strange simultaneous equation problem?

The first step is to identify the unknown variables and write down all the given equations. Then, you can use various algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve the equations and find the values of the unknown variables.

What are some real-life applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company, or to calculate the trajectory of a projectile.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simultaneous equation problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not carefully reading the problem, not keeping track of the unknown variables, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and make sure that your final solution satisfies all the given equations.