Strategizing my grad school path

In summary, the speaker is a student who will be graduating with a Master's in Applied Physics in 2014/15. They have a strong interest in high energy theories, particularly string theory, and have been dealing with severe obsessive compulsive disorder for their entire life. Despite this, they have managed to maintain a 3.2 GPA and are hoping to work with a theorist at their university until graduation. They are also learning conformal field theory and plan to use this in their senior thesis or possibly an article. They are aware that their academic record may hinder their chances of getting into a PhD program, but they are determined to try while they are still young and passionate. They are seeking advice on how to make the most of
i_like_4
Hello Physics Forums,

I'll be graduating with an Ms in Applied Physics in 2014/15. I could see myself getting deeply interested in high energy theories from SM to SUSY to LGR to string theory. Particularly string theory - even before my first lecture on F=ma I daydreamed about a rudimentary idea of a sort of holographic principle.

A little background: I've suffered from severe obsessive compulsive disorder my whole life. At 15 I decided I wanted to become a physicist and could think of nothing else. Since then I've spent more time doing math than sleeping. Eventually I lost control - 24 hours a day of math and physics - dreams and everything. In 2013 I realized the severity of my condition and since have spent a great deal of my time learning to manage my OCD. It's been difficult for me to continue going to school, especially in physics where I need time to think, but I stuck in and managed a 3.2 GPA. I know that doesn't reflect my ability, but I'm excited to work with what I have.

I plan on working with a theorist at my university until I graduate. Over summer I'm learning conformal field theory, it's applications to string theory, and any supporting math. Hopefully this will set up my fall for a senior thesis, or maybe an attempt at getting an article out there (haha yeah right), and to take 1 or 2 independent study courses with different professors. My hope is that with this work, a B.6 GPA, letters of rec and an essay explaining the OCD anomaly I can get into a PhD program that reflects my interests.

I understand these fields are narrow, and my "poor" academic record makes my chances slim. I'd still like to try while I'm young and passionate and just now coming out of a long period of fuzziness. Any advice on other things I can do with my remaining time at university or suggestions of schools that might be in my range would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in a Master's program, leaving a PhD program with a master's, or at your home UG institution leaving with a master's?

A 3.2 is not quite the end of the world... What is your physics GPA?

What sort of tier schools are you applying to?

What are the key factors to consider when strategizing my grad school path?

When thinking about your grad school path, there are several important factors to consider. These include your career goals, academic interests, financial resources, location preferences, and personal commitments. It is important to carefully evaluate each of these factors to determine the best path for you.

How can I research different graduate programs and schools?

There are several ways to research graduate programs and schools. One option is to search online for rankings and reviews of different programs. You can also reach out to professors, colleagues, and current grad students for their insights and recommendations. Additionally, attending grad school fairs and information sessions can provide valuable information.

What should I consider when choosing a specific graduate program?

When choosing a specific graduate program, it is important to consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and alumni network. You should also think about the program's reputation and how it aligns with your career goals and academic interests.

How can I prepare for the application process for grad school?

Preparing for the grad school application process involves several steps. It is important to research the application requirements for each program you are interested in and gather all necessary materials, such as transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation. You should also start working on your personal statement and resume early to ensure they accurately reflect your strengths and goals.

What should I do if I am unsure about my grad school path?

If you are unsure about your grad school path, it is important to take some time to reflect on your goals and interests. You can also speak with professors, mentors, and career counselors for guidance. It may also be helpful to reach out to current grad students or alumni to learn more about their experiences and career paths after graduation.