Strength/weight ratio question

• Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the strength to weight ratio increases for die cast parts with decreasing wall thickness due to the cube relationship between stiffness and radial position, where removing material from smaller radial positions improves the ratio.
faust9
Quick question: Why does the strenght to wieght ratio increase for die cast parts with decreasing wall thickness?

My view is that the weight decreases with nominal change in strength; however, a classmate of mine disagrees. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see how the stiffness/weight ratio can be improved in an I-beam. If you make the web thinner (but not so thin that it buckles) you'll not change the second moment of area much, so you'll have almost the same stiffness, but you will save weight. Conversely, you might make the web thinner but deeper, keeping the same overall weight but increasing the second moment of area and so the stiffness.

Thanks. Additional delving into the topic showed us both that other factors such as porosity cooling rate grain structure and and mold flow are all 'typically' improved with thin wall castings versus thicker wall castings.

Thanks for the response.

faust9 said:
Quick question: Why does the strenght to wieght ratio increase for die cast parts with decreasing wall thickness?

My view is that the weight decreases with nominal change in strength; however, a classmate of mine disagrees. Any thoughts?

For a component like a pipe, recall that the contribution to the stiffness from any volume element goes like the cube (I think) of the radial position from the axis. However, the contribution to the weight goes only as the square of the radial position. So removing material from smaller radial positions improves the strength-to-weight ratio.

That's why thin walled components are better for this.

1. What is strength/weight ratio?

Strength/weight ratio, also known as strength-to-weight ratio, is the measure of an object's strength in relation to its weight. It is calculated by dividing the maximum amount of force an object can withstand by its weight.

2. Why is strength/weight ratio important?

Strength/weight ratio is important because it allows us to compare the strength of different objects, regardless of their size or weight. It is particularly important in fields such as engineering and sports, where strength and weight are critical factors.

3. How is strength/weight ratio calculated?

Strength/weight ratio is calculated by dividing the maximum force an object can withstand by its weight. The resulting value is usually expressed in units of force per unit of weight, such as newtons per kilogram.

4. Is a higher strength/weight ratio always better?

In most cases, a higher strength/weight ratio is desirable as it means the object can withstand more force per unit of weight. However, it is important to consider other factors such as cost and practicality when determining the optimal strength/weight ratio for a particular application.

5. How can strength/weight ratio be improved?

There are several ways to improve an object's strength/weight ratio, such as using lighter, stronger materials, optimizing the design for maximum strength, and incorporating structural reinforcements. Advances in technology and materials science continue to push the limits of strength-to-weight ratios in various industries.