Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress at crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam under sinusoidal excitation

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    I need some information urgently. I am working on crack of a 2-D cantilever beam. One side of the beam is fixed. I am applying a sinusoidal time varying load on other end in Y-direction.Beam length and width are 100cm and 10cm respectively. crack is 05 cm in y-direction. I have attached data and drawing for my questions.

I want to know which stress should I follow for the crack propagation at crack tip. is it principle stress in y -direction or any other stress? Please give me some advice

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context for your question? Are you working in a material testing lab, or is this for schoolwork?

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    I am Graduate student. This is my research topic.

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Okay, thanks. Normally schoolwork goes in the Homework Help forums, but for graduate-level questions, they can be posted in the technical forums as long as you show lots of your work. Can you post what you think the correct answer is and why?

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    I think the possible answer is principle stress in y-direction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook