Stress at crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam under sinusoidal excitation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Rony shaha
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I need some information urgently. I am working on crack of a 2-D cantilever beam. One side of the beam is fixed. I am applying a sinusoidal time varying load on other end in Y-direction.Beam length and width are 100cm and 10cm respectively. crack is 05 cm in y-direction. I have attached data and drawing for my questions.

I want to know which stress should I follow for the crack propagation at crack tip. is it principle stress in y -direction or any other stress? Please give me some advice
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Rony shaha said:
I need some information urgently. I am working on crack of a 2-D cantilever beam. One side of the beam is fixed. I am applying a sinusoidal time varying load on other end in Y-direction.Beam length and width are 100cm and 10cm respectively. crack is 05 cm in y-direction. I have attached data and drawing for my questions.

I want to know which stress should I follow for the crack propagation at crack tip. is it principle stress in y -direction or any other stress? Please give me some advice

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context for your question? Are you working in a material testing lab, or is this for schoolwork?
 
I am Graduate student. This is my research topic.
 
Rony shaha said:
I am Graduate student. This is my research topic.

Okay, thanks. Normally schoolwork goes in the Homework Help forums, but for graduate-level questions, they can be posted in the technical forums as long as you show lots of your work. Can you post what you think the correct answer is and why?
 
I think the possible answer is principle stress in y-direction