Stressing out over minor things losing possessions and economic downfalls?

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
I am not suggesting that we should live a pioneering lifestyle, I am suggesting that we should have an alternative lifestyle just in case the modern lifestyle we currently are in suddenly collaspes upon itself.
Again, your description of that lifestyle and how easy you think it would be to live it is naive.
Russ you have not answer my question: How would you and most people who take our modern conveniences for granted react if they were suddenly snatched away from you?
You never asked that question. In the OP, you assumed, correctly, that people would be stressed out by losing a job. I'm no different: if I lost my job right now, it would be awful. I'd be in serious danger of losing my house.
But it is safe to say that most americans(myself included), would not know how to easily adapt to a different set of circumstances that is especially a large inconvenience to their lifestyle.
Correct. So stop saying you could do it!
Russ, are you forgetting that most people on the planet don't live a modern lifestyle that we in the west do? Why aren't 3 billion people dead?
A significant fraction of the world population struggles for survival. About 1/3 of the world's population is under-fed and 1/3 is in danger of starvation:
The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving- Since you've entered this site at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm

This is despite modern farming that has the richest nations of the world (such as the US) sending (through exports or just giving it away) enormous quantities of food to developing countries.
How are those people who lack the modern conveniences that we in the west for granted surviving?
Barely.
You are putting words in my mouth, Russ. If you look at one of my previous posts, I clearly said that I would freak out if my laptop and other electronics appliances I used on a daily basis inconvenienced me. I said I would not know how to react if such conveniences were permanently/temporarily destroyed because of a severe economic depression.
If I've read something that isn't there, I apologize, but you have said things that imply you don't think it would be difficult to live without modern conveniences and you also labeled such concerns as "minor".
I don't want to replace the modern society I currently live in with a primitive society. I certainly did not suggest that a primitive lifestyle is superior to my modern lifestyle like you claimed I did. My biggest concern is how humans will adapt if modern society collaspes upon itself, particular the humans who live a lifestyle that convenience them the most compared to the rest of world ?
Fair enough.

The answer is that if our society collapsed, it would be a disaster. And that answers the question in the op as well: it is reasonable to stress over such things happening because they would be disastrous.
If people were no longer able to provide store-bought food , what would you do in that situation to survive? It would be silly to kill yourself ; we are supposed to be an adaptable species.
Not many people kill themselves over such things, but virtually everyone stresses.

The complete collapse of society is such a drastic thing that it isn't reasonable to try to prepare for it - it isn't possible to actually be prepared for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, but you seem to be responding to a different statement that no one made.

Quoting noblegas, "I wouldn't be left homeless if I knew howto hunt for my own food and new how to grow food."

Hunting and growing food having nothing to do with shelter or being homeless.

What distinguishes homeless people from survivalists is that homeless people don't know how to be resourceful , for many homeless people look for scraps of food out of the garbage can instead of going out and hunting for their own food or growing their own food;

In other words, one has no dependents. Rather, one is dependent on others, namely one's parents.
When did I ever say that I had no dependent? l said we are all dependent on our modern conveniences and I was suggesting people would not react calmly and prepare for an alternative if we were to suddenly to lose them.

Again, your description of that lifestyle and how easy you think it would be to live it is naive.
I never suggested that adapting to a new lifestyle would be easy. In fact, if you go back and skim some of my posts, you will find that I said that it would not be easy for americans to adapt to an alternative lifestyle. We should take an alternative lifestyle into serious consideration not because the lifestyle we currently live in now is bad , but because our civilization could collapse on itself and we need to be prepared if it does. It is always best to be prepared, despite if the probability of a civilization imploding on itself is high or low; History have shown that civilizations have risen and fallen, whether it be because of corruption in government, or the monetary policy implemented by governments that may have contribute to the decline of civilizations.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
When did I ever say that I had no dependent? l said we are all dependent on our modern conveniences and I was suggesting people would not react calmly and prepare for an alternative if we were to suddenly to lose them.
A dependent is a person, e.g., spouse or child or ward, who depends upon one for sustenance and shelter.

One apparently has no dependents, but one has dependence on others.

If I've read something that isn't there, I apologize, but you have said things that imply you don't think it would be difficult to live without modern conveniences and you also labeled such concerns as "minor".
Things like, having roads, gas, cars, trains, planes, computers, jobs, phones, and any other technological advancement are minor compared to basic needs like having food and water, because those things are not essential to our survival. I like modern conveniences I do not need them to live. Those things are minor.

A dependent is a person, e.g., spouse or child or ward, who depends upon one for sustenance and shelter.

One apparently has no dependents, but one has dependence on others.
We do depend on love ones to ensure our happiness, I was not suggesting that we truly live in a vacuum. I want to depend on others because it is easier to have others to produced your wants and needs for you than to produced those things yourself. But if other people can no longer provide those things for us, we would have no other choice but to rely on yourself and your network of friends/associates to assist you in helping you to provide those needs and wants

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We do depend on love ones to ensure our happiness, I was not suggesting that we truly live in a vacuum. I want to depend on others because it is easier to have others to produced your wants and needs for you than to produced those things yourself. But if other people can no longer provide those things for us, we would have no other choice but to rely on yourself and your network of friends/associates to assist you in helping you to provide those needs and wants
Read the definition carefully:

You have no dependents. You don't even depend on yourself.

\

You have no dependents. You don't even depend on yourself.
umm... that statement makes no sense. If I didn't have dependents, I would not be rely on my parents to provide shelter for me. Concerning things that have nothing to do with basic needs, I don't rely on parents and friends much for things like happiness and pleasure. I am independent very much regarding this respect.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A dependent is someone who depends on you. Not someone you depend on.

Unless you're saying you have kids, and live with your parents, you have yet to read the definition carefully.

A dependent is someone who depends on you. Not someone you depend on.

Unless you're saying you have kids, and live with your parents, you have yet to read the definition carefully.
Oh I see what you mean. I don't have any kids , but their are many businesses that I rely me to finance their services , for simple conveniences like gas, food and such , even though I am one of a thousand customers.

There are people who don't have dependents but get stressed when they lost their jobs and all of their modern conveniences. Thats why its best to prepare for the worst/

Last edited:
Noblegas reminds me of an old college friend who wanted to grow Christmas trees for income - from seeds.

Evo
Mentor
Locked pending moderation.