Stretched spring -find coeff of friction

In summary: So both sides of the equation are in Joules.In summary, the problem involves a relaxed spring with a spring constant of 70 N/m and a block of mass 10 kg attached to it. The spring is stretched a distance of 66 cm and then released, causing the block to move across a rough horizontal floor until it comes to a stop without passing through the relaxed position. The spring is stretched by an amount of 66 cm/7 at this point. The question is asking for the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the floor. To solve this problem, the work-energy theorem can be used to find the work done by friction, which can then be equated to the final mechanical energy minus the initial mechanical energy. This
mujadeo
stretched spring --find coeff of friction

Homework Statement

A relaxed spring with spring constant k = 70 N/m is stretched a distance di = 66 cm and held there. A block of mass M = 10 kg is attached to the spring. The spring is then released from rest and contracts, dragging the block across a rough horizontal floor until it stops without passing through the relaxed position, at which point the spring is stretched by an amount df = di/7

Homework Equations

7What is the coefficient of kinetic friction µk between the block and the floor?

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is a problem for me.
i know about spring constants and friction but can't visualize where to start?

I know:
M= 10kg
df = .094m
Fs = .09 * 70 = 6.3N
N = 9.8*10= 98N

dont know
µk (µk = Fk/N)

Also i know (obviously) that block stops because µk force must be greater than the spring constant force.

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Fun problem. I don't know the answer right off the bat, but the way I'd approach a problem like this is to initially break it into understandable segments. Like, you know the initial force on the block from the spring and its mass, so what would be the possible accelerations for the block initially based on the mu values? And if you were going to set up a differential equation for the instantaneous velocity of the block based on the things that you are given, what would that equation look like? And given that instantaneous differential equation, how would you integrate or solve for the motion versus time, based on the mu value? And given that and the answer that you are given for the final V=0 position, how can you then solve for the mu?

I'd use the work-energy theorem... The final energy - initial energy = work done by non-conservative forces (ie work done by friction).

this is what i did but its wrong sumhow.

Fsp = -K delta x
Fk = mu N

so i equated equations

-K delta x = mu N

mu = -K delta s / N

mu = -70(.094) / (10*9.8)

mu = .067

=wrong?

mujadeo said:
this is what i did but its wrong sumhow.

Fsp = -K delta x
Fk = mu N

so i equated equations

-K delta x = mu N

mu = -K delta s / N

mu = -70(.094) / (10*9.8)

mu = .067

=wrong?

That gives the coefficient of static friction, not kinetic.

coeff of static and kinetic use same formula don't they?
Fk = mu*N
Fs = mu*N

oh so whole picture is wrong
i am looking at it like : equate forces, then when they become equal (and opposit) that is mu-max for static.\
should be..

mujadeo said:
coeff of static and kinetic use same formula don't they?
Fk = mu*N
Fs = mu*N

There are 2 different mu's... mustatic and mukinetic

so is kinetic coeff, --get that from KE=.5mv^2 somehow?

mujadeo said:
oh so whole picture is wrong
i am looking at it like : equate forces, then when they become equal (and opposit) that is mu-max for static.\
should be..

Yes. To get mu-kinetic, you need to use work-energy...

mujadeo said:
so is kinetic coeff, --get that from KE=.5mv^2 somehow?

You don't need that... what's the initial mechical energy of the system (includes all kinetic and potential energies)... what's the final mechanical energy of the system... It starts at rest and ends at rest so the kinetic energies are 0. There is kinetic energy in between, but we don't need to worry about that... we just need to worry about the initial and final states...

work done by friction = final mechanical energy - initial mechanical energy

From the left hand side you can get mu-kinetic.

Last edited:
OK so i am equating PE of spring with force of spring??

I know its these 3 equations :

U=1/2kx^2
Fsp = -K delta x
Fk = muN

But Fsp and Fk are in in Newtons and U is in Joules.
I want everything in joules to use conserv of energy??

How can i get both equations in J?

mujadeo said:

U=1/2kx^2
Fsp = -K delta x
Fk = muN

Just use the first equation for now... what's the initial energy, and what's the final energy?

mujadeo said:

U=1/2kx^2
Fsp = -K delta x
Fk = muN

Work done = Force * distance... which is N*m which is the same as J.

1. What is a stretched spring?

A stretched spring is an elastic material that has been deformed due to an external force. When stretched, the spring stores potential energy, which can be released when the force is removed.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined for a stretched spring?

The coefficient of friction for a stretched spring can be determined by measuring the stretch of the spring and the force applied to it. By plotting a graph of force versus stretch, the slope of the line can be used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction for a stretched spring?

The coefficient of friction for a stretched spring can be affected by various factors, such as the surface roughness of the spring and the material it is in contact with, the temperature, and the amount of stretch applied to the spring.

4. Why is finding the coefficient of friction important for a stretched spring?

Finding the coefficient of friction for a stretched spring is important because it helps us understand the behavior and performance of the spring. It can also be used to calculate the amount of force needed to stretch the spring to a certain length.

5. How can the coefficient of friction for a stretched spring be used in real-life applications?

The coefficient of friction for a stretched spring has various real-life applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, determining the weight limit of a spring mattress, and in the development of prosthetics and other medical devices.