Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theory and Statistical Physics

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    When do these two fields of physics overlap other than when we discuss entropy of supersymmetric black holes? Does statistical mechanics or statistical physics support any aspect in string theory or vice verse? I have read some place that the string theory reduces to the standard model by doing some averaging. I didn't find enough sources though on this very subject. Can you provide me with links to papers? If not on this very subject - then on any subject that relates string theory to statistical physics?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

String/brane gases in the early universe is another example. String theory above the Hagedorn temperature presumably has some interesting properties.

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    Are there any papers on this? Published ones? Thank you very much!

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    Thank you bapowell! Much appreciated!

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6
    Actually the only triumph of string theory was to be able to calculate the entropy of a black hole by wrapping D-brains around the holes of Calabi-Yau in all possible ways and thus making some connection with Statistical physics, but I will not say that this corresponds to any deep connection between Statistical physics and String theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook