Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theory, string dimensions?

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1

Nav

Strings are said to be one dimensional, due to the math. And I understand that there are problems in the math when they put the strings in 3 or 2 dimensions.
    According to string theory, lengths smaller than planck length have no physical significance.
    Could it be that strings are 3 dimensional but their height and width dimensions are so small and insignificant they they cannot be taken into consideration or calculated by the mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2
    Sure it could be. String theory is so far from making much in terms of verifiable predictions that anything is possible.

The word "theory" is only loosely applicable to the body of hypothetical work associated with strings.

4. Jul 21, 2015 #3

bapowell

Science Advisor

It has not been possible to construct a quantum theory of objects having more than 1 dimension.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Higher dimensional branes can be quantized too, but this leads to UV divergences. Still, one can always tame these divergences by regularization and renormalization.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

Nav

Are you saying that it is possible for strings to have higher dimensions like branes?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6

bapowell

Science Advisor

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7

Nav

A string can still have three dimensions it's just that those other two dimensions are insignificant.
    It comes down to actual dimensions. 1-D is a mathematical convenience that often works if the size in 1 dimension is much larger than the other two.
    Think of a real guitar string. If it is 24" long, but only 0.005" in diameter, a 1-D model is a good approx.

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8

Nav

The other dimensions of the string are too small to be taken into account by the calculations and therefore are just portrayed to be one dimensional.
    Branes are different, you can't construct a quantum theory on branes because all of its dimensions are taken into account by the calculations because they are so big.

10. Jul 22, 2015 #9

bapowell

Science Advisor

I understand that a 3-dimensional object can look 1-dimensional, but these objects behave very differently when quantized. Are you saying that it is possible to quantize a 3-dimensional object without stability issues or other problems? In string theory, the other dimensions are not simply ignored -- the string is not "portrayed to be one dimensional" -- it actually is, exactly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  11. Jul 22, 2015 #10

Nav

I never said that they are ignored, what i meant was that the other dimensions are too small to be considered in the calculations

12. Jul 22, 2015 #11

bapowell

Science Advisor

Right, and I'm saying this is wrong. The strings of string theory are *exactly* 1-dimensional. If you add more dimensions, the quantization procedure is very different.

13. Jul 23, 2015 #12

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No.

14. Jul 23, 2015 #13

haushofer

Science Advisor

Could you give a link where this is done or discussed?

15. Jul 23, 2015 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I don't know a specific reference, but it looks obvious. First quantization of a p-brane is essentially a quantum (p+1)-dimensional field theory, which in general leads to UV divergences (p=1 is exception due to the large group of conformal symmetry). Each UV divergent field theory can be renormalied in the sense of an effective theory.

16. Jul 23, 2015 #15

bapowell

Science Advisor

But what about the free field theory? I understand "UV divergences" only in the context of interactions.

17. Jul 23, 2015 #16

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Can you show me those "calculations"?

18. Jul 24, 2015 #17

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Even for free theory there is a UV infinite energy of the ground state, but this can always be removed by normal ordering.

19. Jul 24, 2015 #18

haushofer

Science Advisor

Ah, ok, I understood your statement in the sense that these qft's are fully renormalizible.

20. Jul 24, 2015 #19

bapowell

Science Advisor

Right, but those are just the normal divergences we find with any free quantum field theory. I had always read that there were stability issues when attempting to quantize fundamental objects of dimension greater than 1.

21. Jul 24, 2015 #20

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Can you give a reference on that stability issues?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook