Structure and properties of polymers

In summary: Polymer structure affects electrical properties, but also other properties such as melting point, boiling point, and specific heat.
Acut
Hi!

I need a reference (book, webpage) that explains how the structure of a polymer affects its properties.

I've found plenty of material over how structure changes its mechanical properties, but I could not find how it changes other parameters (e.g. electrical conductivity, boiling point...)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmmm. Structure-activity relationships for polymers regarding electrical conductivity. Not sure we're that advanced yet. Electrical conductivity is as much about how it's made as what it's made from but the structure is certainly important as well. Electrical conductivity in organic polymers is ultimately controlled by the long range order of the polymer itself. Long range order can be accomplished by mechanical means (strain hardening) or by using highly crystalline polymers for example.

I assume the boiling point reference is just a random neuron firing kind of thing.

chemisttree said:
I assume the boiling point reference is just a random neuron firing kind of thing.

Indeed, I wanted to mean melting point, not boiling point.

chemisttree said:
Hmmm. Structure-activity relationships for polymers regarding electrical conductivity. Not sure we're that advanced yet.

Well, the reason why I started this thread is that I have a upcoming college-entrance exam. One of the items in its syllabus is:

"Synthetic polymers: correlations between structure and properties. Main reactions and uses."

In previous exams, they have asked the role of cross links in the mechanical strength. They have also asked to explain the role of double bonds in the polymers ability to conduct electricity. And, in a multiple choice question, they have asked which polymer would be most suited to be used in the glass of an aircraft.

Since they've recurrently asked those type of questions, I was wondering how the polymer's structure would affect its other properties. I am not asking something science has still to uncover, or they would not put that on the test, obviously. I just need a place to find qualitative descriptions of how the structure of a polymer affects its potential uses. I have found plenty of material in how cross linking works, but that was it.

I thought they tend not to have a definite sharp melting point but rather a spread out zone of transition where they turn gooey and do have an increased specific heat. Most polymers are of fairly heterogeneous length - when they are even single chains because there is often also crosslinking.

Acut said:
Indeed, I wanted to mean melting point, not boiling point.

Well, the reason why I started this thread is that I have a upcoming college-entrance exam. One of the items in its syllabus is:

"Synthetic polymers: correlations between structure and properties. Main reactions and uses."

In previous exams, they have asked the role of cross links in the mechanical strength. They have also asked to explain the role of double bonds in the polymers ability to conduct electricity. And, in a multiple choice question, they have asked which polymer would be most suited to be used in the glass of an aircraft.

Since they've recurrently asked those type of questions, I was wondering how the polymer's structure would affect its other properties. I am not asking something science has still to uncover, or they would not put that on the test, obviously. I just need a place to find qualitative descriptions of how the structure of a polymer affects its potential uses. I have found plenty of material in how cross linking works, but that was it.

Great! Try here for basics regarding polymers. Wiki has a good writeup for conducting polymers.

1. What are polymers and how are they formed?

Polymers are large molecules made up of repeating units called monomers. They are formed through a process called polymerization, where monomers are linked together to form long chains or networks.

2. What are the different types of polymers and how do they differ in structure?

There are three main types of polymers: thermoplastics, thermosets, and elastomers. Thermoplastics have linear or branched chains that can be melted and reshaped, while thermosets have cross-linked networks that cannot be melted. Elastomers have both flexibility and strength due to their unique molecular structure.

3. How do the structure and properties of polymers affect their applications?

The structure of a polymer, such as its molecular weight, branching, and cross-linking, can greatly influence its properties. For example, a polymer with a high molecular weight will have a higher melting point and be more rigid, while a polymer with branching will have more flexibility. These properties determine how a polymer can be used in various applications, such as in packaging, textiles, or medical devices.

4. How do external factors, such as temperature and stress, affect the properties of polymers?

External factors can greatly impact the properties of polymers. For example, temperature can affect the polymer's strength, stiffness, and flexibility. Stress, such as stretching or compression, can also change the polymer's properties, including its shape and mechanical strength. It is important to consider these factors when selecting a polymer for a specific application.

5. Can polymers be modified to improve their properties?

Yes, polymers can be modified in various ways to enhance their properties. This can include adding plasticizers to increase flexibility, incorporating fillers to improve stiffness, or cross-linking to increase strength. Polymers can also be chemically modified to change their chemical and physical properties. These modifications allow for a wide range of applications and uses for polymers.