Structure of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
bomba923
Messages
759
Reaction score
0
While washing my bathroom sink, I read that the main ingredient of the cleaner I used was none other than
"sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate"

Is the structure of this compound simply:
-1,3,5 triazinetrione with two hydrogens replaced with chlorine,
and the third hydrogen replaced with sodium??

Drawing the structure, I notice no "R/S" stereochemistry. But the name
of the substance has a lowercase "s" in it! What does this mean?
What is the structure of this excellent cleaning agent??
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm...It's been three days!
Anyone there?

What is the structure of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate ?
Can you guys describe it?
 
what you are talking about is the main ingredient in pool tablets, aka TriChlor.

the formula is [tex]NaCl_2C_3N_3O_3[/tex]

try google and you'll find out all you ever wanted to know and more.
 
Ahh--just what I needed to know!

So then I suppose the structure is a central hexagonal ring of C-N-C-N-C-N , with an oxygen double-bonded to each carbon, two chlorines single-bonded to two nitrogens,
and the remaining ring nitrogen is bonded to the sodium.

Am I correct?
 
actually, i would guess that the Na is an ionic counter-ion, the same way that it is in NaOCl aka swimming pool "shock"

the cyanuric change from hypochlorite is what makes the tablets more resistant to UV light degradation, i.e. more stable (this also decreases it's protein-combining ability however). if you want the detailed structure, there are numerous sources where you can look it up (Merck index, chemfinder, MSDS sheets, etc.), i don't recall the structure off-hand.
 
Hopefully this will work...I'm going to try link you to the Google search with one result that's a PDF file with the structure included within that document. I don't know any way to directly link you to the PDF since it downloads as soon as I click on it.

http://www.google.com/search?client...drate"+"chemical+structure"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If that doesn't work, do the Google search with: "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate" "chemical structure"[/color] Include the quotes. Only one result comes up doing it that way.
 
Moonbear said:
Hopefully this will work...I'm going to try link you to the Google search with one result that's a PDF file with the structure included within that document. I don't know any way to directly link you to the PDF since it downloads as soon as I click on it.

sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate

Nice link Moonbear, to publish a pdf link, right-click on hypertext, select 'copy link location' (or similar wording depending on browser), paste it into your message. A little cleaner format, I give here:
http://www.epa.gov/chemrtk/sdditriz/c14660tl.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator: