Struggles With The Continuum - Part 2 - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter john baez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuum
In summary, John Baez submitted a new PF Insights post discussing the struggles scientists have when trying to apply the laws of physics to a discretized space. He suggests that the use of lattice models can help with rotation symmetry and that the loss of isotropy would lead to some difficulties inulating Newton's laws. He also says that people working in numerical methods of physics often use discretizations like this.
The LIGO experiment is very important, but it says nothing at all about quantum gravity, gravitons or string theory. I explained why in the discussion thread here:
If you go there you'll see a long conversation with at least 113 comments. I must have answered at least 40 interesting questions about LIGO and gravitational waves. It was quite fun!

Likes Telemachus and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
john baez said:
The LIGO experiment is very important, but it says nothing at all about quantum gravity, gravitons or string theory. I explained why in the discussion thread here:
If you go there you'll see a long conversation with at least 113 comments. I must have answered at least 40 interesting questions about LIGO and gravitational waves. It was quite fun!

But if we take GR to be a low energy effective quantum field theory of a spin 2 particle, then in that sense, wouldn't LIGO say something about gravitons in the same way it says something about GR?

At least it gives an upper limit of the graviton mass.

Likes atyy
atyy said:
But if we take GR to be a low energy effective quantum field theory of a spin 2 particle, then in that sense, wouldn't LIGO say something about gravitons in the same way it says something about GR?

Okay, if you insist. What I meant is that we don't know anything more about quantum gravity than we did before LIGO discovered gravitational waves. This was a classical experiment, not a quantum one.

At least it gives an upper limit of the graviton mass.

Okay. If someone thought the graviton had a nonzero mass they might be less convinced of that now. Of course we already knew that either the graviton mass is zero or general relativity is wrong.

I would prefer to say LIGO's first result can help us test a prediction of purely classical general relativity: namely, that gravitational waves don't disperse, at least if they're not too strong and their wavelengths are much shorter than the curvature length scale of the spacetime they're in. You can interpret this in terms of gravitons if you like. But we're no more (or less) sure that gravitons exist now than we were a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and Telemachus
Sure, perhaps one should say that it gives a limit on a mass of the gravitational field. It's analogous to the measurement of a "photon mass" in the context of electromagnetics. You can test this also by, e.g., high-accuracy measurements of Coulomb's law, i.e., with classical em. field situations.