Struggles with the Continuum - Part 4 - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter john baez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuum
In summary, this book is a classic attempt to make quantum field theory mathematically rigorous, presenting the "Streater-Wightman axioms" for quantum fields as operator-valued distributions. The author presents a proof of the spin-statistics theorem for quantum fields obeying the Streater-Wightman axioms, along with another fundamental result called the PCT theorem.
john baez
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
john baez submitted a new PF Insights post

Struggles with the Continuum - Part 4

spacetime4.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes m4r35n357, Intrastellar, ShayanJ and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
"PCT, Spin and Statistics, and All That" - I bought that little book when I was a student in the '60s. Never could make any sense of it. I felt especially bad since I was studying both statistics and physics and thought It should be within my grasp. But, I see with the wisdom of age (and John Baez's help) that I mainly had the wrong philosophical approach to the whole subject.

Likes john baez
I love this series.

Likes john baez
Steven Wenner said:
"PCT, Spin and Statistics, and All That" - I bought that little book when I was a student in the '60s. Never could make any sense of it.

It's a classic attempt to make quantum field theory mathematically rigorous, presenting the "Streater-Wightman axioms" for quantum fields as operator-valued distributions. However, that means you need to be comfortable with quantum field theory to enjoy this book!

I felt especially bad since I was studying both statistics and physics and thought It should be within my grasp.

Maybe you'll feel better, if you don't already know this, to hear that the word "statistics" in this title has very little to do with statistics as practiced by statisticians. In quantum physics, "statistics" means the ways that identical particles transform when you permute them. There are two main possibilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_statistics (for bosons) and Fhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi–Dirac_statistics (for fermions). The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin–statistics_theorem says that integer-spin particles must have Bose-Einstein statistics, while half-integer-spin particles must have Fermi-Dirac statistics.

One of the triumphs of this book was to present a rigorous proof of the spin-statistics theorem for quantum fields obeying the Streater-Wightman axioms, along with another fundamental result called the PCT theorem, also known as the CPT theorem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Really great series John!

Thanks! It looks like I need two more posts to cover quantum field theory without overwhelming people with mega-posts.

1. What is the "Continuum" in the context of this topic?

The Continuum refers to the concept of space-time in physics, where space and time are seen as a unified entity rather than separate entities. It is often used in discussions about theories of relativity and the behavior of objects in the universe.

2. What is the significance of Part 4 in this series?

Part 4 of "Struggles with the Continuum" delves into the comments and discussions surrounding the previous parts of the series. It analyzes the different perspectives and debates within the scientific community about the topic.

3. What are some common struggles scientists face when studying the Continuum?

Some common struggles include understanding the mathematical complexities of theories such as general relativity, reconciling the Continuum with other theories of physics, and the lack of empirical evidence to support certain ideas about the Continuum.

4. How does the Continuum impact our understanding of the universe?

The Continuum plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it helps us explain phenomena such as gravity, black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe and helps us develop new technologies.

5. What are some potential implications of the Continuum for future research and technology?

The study of the Continuum has the potential to lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in various fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It could also help us develop technologies that utilize space-time distortions for time travel or faster-than-light travel. However, more research is needed to fully understand the Continuum and its implications.