A First Idea of Quantum Field Theory - 20 Part Series - Comments

In summary, the author provides a summary of a conversation about quantum field theory. The links between the series and acknowledgement are broken, but the links to the explication of theorems are active.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

A First Idea of Quantum Field Theory - 20 Part Series
quantumfieldtheory.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• quantumfieldtheory.png
    quantumfieldtheory.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,566
Likes dextercioby, Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I see 66 links between 'This series' and 'Acknowledgement'. Wouldn't just one link have been enough ?

(By the way, an awful lot of them don't work ! )

BvU said:
an awful lot of them don't work !

Those links not activated yet are pointing to articles that appear further down in the series. They will become active incrementally as the series progresses.

BvU said:
Wouldn't just one link have been enough ?

Here I am not sure what you have in mind. But the links are just an offer, leading to further information, not a request to click on them. If you feel like not following any, that's fine.

Last edited:
BvU said:
(By the way, an awful lot of them don't work ! )
The keywords go to ncatlab for more information. The chapter links aren't active yet because they haven't been released, but once they are they will be active. Hold tight, first chapter releases tomorrow! :)

Likes vanhees71
The links to expl. 8.16 and 10.16 (and perhaps others) do not work!

A. Neumaier said:
The links to expl. 8.16 and 10.16 (and perhaps others) do not work!

Thanks for the alert! Indeed, all PF-internal links had been broken since my last update. Not sure why this happened. But I have fixed it now. (Or so I think.)

Following public request, I have compiled a stand-alone list of references, see above under References.

But notice that detailed pointers to the literature are included in each chapter, alongside the text, attached to the relevant definitions or propositions.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and dextercioby
Hello,

I believe you once said there are results that are proved only by doing QFT rigorously. Could you please name some of such results and if possible point me to the explicit sources of those results? Thanks in advance.

Likes Urs Schreiber
Duong said:
I believe you once said there are results that are proved only by doing QFT rigorously.

Just to nitpick, I'll say that every proof is necessarily rigorous, otherwise it is not a proof but a plausibility argument that may still fail upon examination.

Duong said:
Could you please name some of such results and if possible point me to the explicit sources of those results?

A list of theorems in QFT, with further pointers is at

Algebraic Quantum Field theory -- Contents --> Theorems

The main one that we proved in the series (Prop. 16.19) is the main theorem of perturbative renormalization. This implies the theorem that renormalization via UV-regularization exists (Prop. 16.23).

Then there is a list of famous structural theorems that are proven from the Haag-Kastler axioms (which we derived in Prop. 15.30). The Reeh-Schlieder theorem (recently picked up by Witten, see section 2 of arXiv:1803.04993), the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem ("Wick rotation exists"), the PCT theorem and, last not least, the spin-statistics theorem. The classical reference here is this textbook:

Last edited:
Likes Duong, dextercioby and A. Neumaier
Michael Duetsch's textbook on Mathematical Quantum Field Theory is finally out:

nLab entry, publisher page .

It refers to PF Insights, notably for the proof of renormalization via counterterms (theorem 3.4.9 in the book, referring to PF Insights, Chapter 16)

• Love
Likes dextercioby, A. Neumaier and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is used to study the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

2. What is the purpose of the "A First Idea of Quantum Field Theory" series?

The purpose of this series is to introduce readers to the basic concepts and principles of quantum field theory in a clear and accessible manner. It aims to provide a solid foundation for further exploration and understanding of this complex field of study.

3. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand this series?

While some knowledge of quantum mechanics may be helpful, this series is designed to be accessible to readers with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. Concepts and equations will be explained in detail to ensure understanding.

4. How many parts are there in the "A First Idea of Quantum Field Theory" series?

There are 20 parts in this series, each covering a different aspect or concept of quantum field theory. It is recommended to read them in order to fully grasp the subject matter.

5. Are there any real-world applications of quantum field theory?

Yes, quantum field theory has a wide range of applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, quantum computing, and materials science. It has helped us understand the behavior of fundamental particles and has led to many technological advancements.