Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights A First Idea of Quantum Field Theory - 20 Part Series - Comments

1. Nov 2, 2017 #1

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I see 66 links between 'This series' and 'Acknowledgement'. Wouldn't just one link have been enough ?

(By the way, an awful lot of them don't work ! )

4. Nov 3, 2017 #3

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those links not activated yet are pointing to articles that appear further down in the series. They will become active incrementally as the series progresses.

Here I am not sure what you have in mind. But the links are just an offer, leading to further information, not a request to click on them. If you feel like not following any, that's fine.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. Nov 3, 2017 #4
    The keywords go to ncatlab for more information. The chapter links aren't active yet because they haven't been released, but once they are they will be active. Hold tight, first chapter releases tomorrow! :)

6. Dec 28, 2017 #5

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor

The links to expl. 8.16 and 10.16 (and perhaps others) do not work!

7. Dec 28, 2017 #6

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the alert! Indeed, all PF-internal links had been broken since my last update. Not sure why this happened. But I have fixed it now. (Or so I think.)

8. Jan 18, 2018 #7

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Following public request, I have compiled a stand-alone list of references, see above under References.

But notice that detailed pointers to the literature are included in each chapter, alongside the text, attached to the relevant definitions or propositions.

9. Apr 20, 2018 #8
    Hello,

I believe you once said there are results that are proved only by doing QFT rigorously. Could you please name some of such results and if possible point me to the explicit sources of those results? Thanks in advance.

10. Apr 22, 2018 #9

Urs Schreiber

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to nitpick, I'll say that every proof is necessarily rigorous, otherwise it is not a proof but a plausibility argument that may still fail upon examination.

A list of theorems in QFT, with further pointers is at

Algebraic Quantum Field theory -- Contents --> Theorems

The main one that we proved in the series (Prop. 16.19) is the main theorem of perturbative renormalization. This implies the theorem that renormalization via UV-regularization exists (Prop. 16.23).

Then there is a list of famous structural theorems that are proven from the Haag-Kastler axioms (which we derived in Prop. 15.30). The Reeh-Schlieder theorem (recently picked up by Witten, see section 2 of arXiv:1803.04993), the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem ("Wick rotation exists"), the PCT theorem and, last not least, the spin-statistics theorem. The classical reference here is this textbook:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted