Struggling To Study: 10+ Hours and No Easy Answers

• Thread starter exitwound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving magnetic flux and the changing current in a long straight wire. The key principle is symmetry, and the net flux is determined by the magnetic field vectors going through a circular hoop in opposite directions. The net flux changes as the current changes, and understanding this concept is crucial in solving the problem.
exitwound
I have the answer to this. It's not a homework problem. Just attempting to study. Isn't going so well. You'd think after 10+ hours of it, I'd be able to solve the 'easy' level problems in the book.

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi = \int \vec B \cdot d \vec a[/tex]
[tex]E= -\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{i}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that at t=0, E=iR, E=(5A)(4Ohm)=20V.

I don't know even how to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the magnetic field due to a long straight wire with constant current and relate this to the magnetic flux through the upper and lower halves of the semicircle. Since we have a changing current, the magnetic field around the long wire will change but what about the flux? Symmetry is a key principle in solving this problem.

B above the long straight wire is out of the page and B below the long straight wire is into the page.

Flux is B.A so the flux thru each hemisphere is the same as the other, only in opposite direction.

Other than that, I'm still lost. This chapter is impossible to understand.

Exactly. You are glimpsing at the symmetry involved in this problem. What is the net flux then? If we change the current with time, sure we change the magnetic field but what about the net flux?

Complete guess. If the current in the wire is decreasing with time, then the flux is too.

That makes sense, sure. But what is the definition of flux? We have magnetic field vectors going through the circular hoop in opposite directions; some go into the page, some go out of the page. Think about this, the net flux and symmetry.

I don't know what you're getting at.

Related to Struggling To Study: 10+ Hours and No Easy Answers

1. What are some tips for staying motivated while studying for long hours?

Some tips for staying motivated while studying for long hours include setting specific and achievable goals, taking breaks and rewarding yourself, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, and using positive self-talk to stay motivated.

2. How can I improve my study habits to be more efficient?

To improve study habits and be more efficient, try breaking up study sessions into shorter chunks with breaks in between, organizing and prioritizing tasks, using active learning techniques such as summarizing and explaining material to yourself, and seeking help or guidance when needed.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when studying for long hours?

Some common mistakes students make when studying for long hours include not taking breaks, trying to multitask, studying in a distracting environment, and not getting enough sleep or proper nutrition.

4. How can I manage my time better when studying for long hours?

To manage time better while studying for long hours, try creating a schedule or to-do list, setting specific time blocks for different tasks, and minimizing distractions such as social media or phone notifications.

5. What are some strategies for retaining information after studying for long hours?

To improve retention of information after studying for long hours, try using active learning techniques such as practice quizzes or teaching the material to someone else, getting enough sleep and rest, and reviewing material regularly over a longer period of time rather than cramming all at once.