Struggling with an Integral? Try These Substitution Strategies!

  • Thread starter Thread starter adelin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
adelin
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I cannot find a substitution that work for this integral

∫dx/2√x+2x

what should I do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
See what you can do to bring a function and it's derivative.. you have √x in the denominator so you should think in terms of derivative of that.
 
If the integral is
[tex] \int \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x} + 2x} \, dx[/tex]

thinking about the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] alone will not help.
 
If he tries to bring the derivative of √x so that it is in product with the original function √x, he can substitute easily. That's what I meant.
 
Convert the addition form in the denominator into product form so that the function and it's derivative are seen clearly in multiplied form.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person