Solving a Line Integral Problem: Struggling for the Right Answer

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the answer for a line integral using parametric equations. The individual asks for help in finding where they went wrong and provides details of their attempt. They also mention a discrepancy between their calculated answer and the answer in the answer key. Another individual asks for clarification on finding the gradient of f.
galaxy_twirl
Hi everyone. I ran into a minor problem while trying to solve a problem on line integral. I suspect this question to be very straight-forward as it gave the parametric equations of the curve C. However, I am still unable to get the answer for some reason. May I have someone to point out where I went wrong? Thanks!

Question:

Ah, the image didn't get uploaded.. Please refer to the attached image. Thanks! The question in question is Q1(a).

My attempt:

Since x = t2 + 1 and y = t3+t , we have x(t) and y(t). Following on, I went one to apply the formula, ∫ F⋅ dr = ∫ f(x(t), y(t))||r'(t)|| dt.

I had r(t) as (t2 + 1) i + (t3+t) j. And I have r'(t) = (2t) i + (3t2 + 1) j, and ||r'(t)|| = √ (9t2 + 1)(t2 + 1).

Since the range of t is 0 ≤ t ≤ 1, I integrated over this range and my calculator returned 3.73 as the answer, but the answer in my answer key wrote 6. May I know where I had gone wrong? Thanks! :D

<In case the picture cannot be seen, I have uploaded it here.> Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20141102_023729.jpg
    IMG_20141102_023729.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
galaxy_twirl said:
Hi everyone. I ran into a minor problem while trying to solve a problem on line integral. I suspect this question to be very straight-forward as it gave the parametric equations of the curve C. However, I am still unable to get the answer for some reason. May I have someone to point out where I went wrong? Thanks!

Question:

Ah, the image didn't get uploaded.. Please refer to the attached image. Thanks! The question in question is Q1(a).

My attempt:

Since x = t2 + 1 and y = t3+t , we have x(t) and y(t). Following on, I went one to apply the formula, ∫ F⋅ dr = ∫ f(x(t), y(t))||r'(t)|| dt.

I had r(t) as (t2 + 1) i + (t3+t) j. And I have r'(t) = (2t) i + (3t2 + 1) j, and ||r'(t)|| = √ (9t2 + 1)(t2 + 1).
Your r'(t) looks fine, but |r'(t)| doesn't.
galaxy_twirl said:
Since the range of t is 0 ≤ t ≤ 1, I integrated over this range and my calculator returned 3.73 as the answer, but the answer in my answer key wrote 6. May I know where I had gone wrong? Thanks! :D

<In case the picture cannot be seen, I have uploaded it here.> Thanks again!

Can you show me your work on the finding the gradient of f?

To Mark44: Oh dear. I must have been hallucinating when doing Math at nearly 3am. T_T Sorry. ||r'(t)|| is √(t^2 + (1/9))(t^2 + 1).

To td21: How do I find the gradient of f? Do I just use the formula Gradient = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)?

However, my calculator returned 1.24 as the answer.. :/

1. What is a line integral problem?

A line integral problem involves calculating the integral of a function along a given curve or path. The result is a single number that represents the overall effect of the function along that specific path.

2. Why is solving a line integral problem important?

Line integrals have a variety of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to calculate work done by a force, electric or magnetic fields, and other physical quantities along a specific path.

3. How do I approach solving a line integral problem?

The first step is to understand the given function and the curve along which the integral is to be calculated. Then, you can use appropriate techniques such as parameterization, Green's theorem, or Stokes' theorem to solve the integral.

4. What are some common challenges in solving a line integral problem?

One common challenge is choosing the correct method to solve the problem. It may require some trial and error or knowledge of different techniques. Another challenge is accurately setting up the integral, as it can be easy to make mistakes while parameterizing the curve or identifying the appropriate bounds.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving line integral problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving line integral problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and techniques, as well as seeking help from resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.