Successful Study Strategies for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book

In summary, for those who have passed the Machine Design course and used Shigley's mechanical engineering design book, the student is seeking advice on how to study for exams. They find the course and book difficult, with each chapter containing over 100 problems that are hard to solve in a short amount of time. They are looking for strategies to identify which problems to focus on and which ones to skip, and welcome any tips and resources that have helped others successfully pass the course.
hackerbot4545
People who have passed Machine Design course & followed Shigley's mechanical engineering design book how did you study for exams? Please provide some study strategies that have worked well for you.

So I have Machine Design course for this semester & I find it really tough.Our professor is following Shigley's mechanical engineering design book.Each chapter in this book contains 100+ maths which is nearly impossible to solve within this short period time.I have other big courses too. So I want to study those maths which have higher possibilities to come in the final exam. How do I figure out which maths to study & which one to skip? People who have successfully passed this course please share your study strategies & other resources which helped you.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hackerbot4545 said:
... So I have Machine Design course for this semester & I find it really tough.
Welcome!
I have passed Machine Design.
I am not familiar with that books and its problems; but, we may help you some if you tell us more about what do you find so difficult about the subject.
The way I see it, I would focus on understanding the principles very well, rather than trying to complete hundreds of problems where those basic principles are applicable.

1. What are the key elements of successful study strategies for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book?

The key elements of successful study strategies for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book include setting clear learning goals, managing time effectively, actively engaging with the material, using different study techniques such as note-taking and practice problems, and seeking help when needed.

2. How can I effectively manage my time while studying for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book?

To effectively manage your time while studying, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your study tasks based on their importance and difficulty level. Break down larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and schedule breaks to avoid burnout.

3. What are some effective study techniques for understanding Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book?

Some effective study techniques for understanding Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book include taking thorough notes while reading the material, creating visual aids such as diagrams or concept maps, practicing problems and applying concepts to real-world examples, and teaching the material to someone else.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book?

To improve your problem-solving skills for Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book, it is important to practice regularly with different types of problems. Break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and use problem-solving strategies such as trial and error or working backwards. Seek feedback from your peers or instructor to identify areas for improvement.

5. What resources are available for further help with studying Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book?

There are various resources available for further help with studying Machine Design and Shigley's ME Design Book, such as online tutorials, study guides, practice problems, and study groups. Your instructor or classmates can also be valuable resources for clarification and additional support.