1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with arc-connectedness

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##(E,N)## a finite dimensional normed vector space. Let ##A## be an arc-connected subset of ##E##, and ##P## be a non-empty subset of ##A## that is both open and close in ##A##. Show that ##P=A##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By contradiction, I assume ##P\neq A##, which is ##C_A(P) \neq \emptyset##.

I'd like to find a continuous function from ##A## to a subset of ##S## of ## \mathbb{R}## that is not a segment.
    This would be a contradiction because the image of an arc-connected set by a continuous function is arc-connected, and the arc-connected sets of ##\mathbb{R}## are segments.

I tried with the caracteristic function of ##P##, but I believe it doesn't work because for any open set ##O## of ##\mathbb{R}##, ##f^{-1}(O)\in\{\emptyset, P,C_A(P), A \}##, and for now, I can't convince myself that ##C_A(P)## is an open set of ##A##.

Do you have any idea please ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are almost there ...
    Think of all the known properties of ##P##.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    I think that thanks to you, I have that last point that bothered me :
    Since ##P## is closed in ##A##, there exists a closed set ##C## of ## E## such that ## P = C \cap A##.
    So ##C_A(P) = C_E(P) \cap A = (C_E(C) \cup C_E(A))\cap A = C_E(C) \cap A ##.
    But ##C_E(C)## is an open set of ##E##. Therefore ##C_A(P) ## is open in ##A##.

So now I am sure that the caracteristic function is continuous from ##A\rightarrow \{0,1\}## which is absurd because ##\{0,1\}## is not arc-connected.

Do you agree ?

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, looks OK to me.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted