1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Struggling with first year college (maths/physics)

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    Hello comrades, im a bit silly about this, but i started 1 month ago the first year at college (physics) after 10 years out of any academic course.
    When i graduated from high school (a long time ago), i got good grades at pre-calc, but now im having lots of problems because i feel lost and i cant do the exercises (i got university physics from young and tipler mosca books)
    I dont have the sufficient knowledge to handle the problems in the books because of lack of problem solving skills and in major part maths. But im very patient and i'm willing to do what is needed, i started to refresh my precalc with precalculus simmons, and basic mathematics from lang.
    Im looking for some insights on how to handle this, for example which books you recommend to learn derivatives/integrals (im thinking about lang intro book on calculus or thomas calculus, or others) and how to apply it on physics course, also looking for a good book to grasp better solving skills, and i have curiosity if something like lectures on physics from Feynman can be a good idea for a first year i want to increase my inmersion in physics and grasp the concepts well i do it as a personal acomplishment a i dont want to fail since i couldnt study until now. Any sincere tips will be much apreciated.
    Kind regards friends.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I admire your determination. Getting back into the academic groove after a 10 yr absence has got to be a b****. My advice is for now concentrate on getting your math skills back including lots of problem solving from the math books.

4. Nov 26, 2016 #3
    Thank you, and any book suggestion? i want to have a good level of knowledge of maths and also problem solving skills.

5. Nov 26, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If your physics course expects you to already know calculus, you should consider dropping it if you are way behind (and the deadline for dropping a course hasn't passed) It's admirable to do self-study to catch up, but it's also not guaranteed to work in a limited amount of time. If you can afford it, get a tutor - or look for places where you can get free tutoring.

6. Nov 27, 2016 #5
    Thanks for your response Stephen, but im from Europe (Spain) and if i drop the inscription fee is lost

7. Nov 29, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Staying in the class to avoid losing what you call the inscription fee might be a false economy -- getting a failing grade for the class. If your background in mathematics isn't where it needs to be, you're wasting your time taking the class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted