Can't take physics my first year

scribkibs
As an undergraduate highly considering graduate school, what are some ways I can still remain engaged with physics and with my institution's physics department despite my delayed start (I cannot take intro physics until my second year)? I was thinking of regularly attending department colloquia and seminars--is this okay for an undergrad to do? Anyway, I just don't want to fall behind or become rusty in physics. All suggestions welcome, thank you so much for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
The most important thing you can do is take math classes so that you will be ahead. Start developing good study habits.
Colloquia and seminars are open to everyone.

Last edited:
Likes phinds and Lnewqban
scribkibs said:
(I cannot take intro physics until my second year)
Why not?

jtbell said:
Why not?
I placed into the second highest math class (precalc), and I needed to place into calc in order to start intro physics. I will be able to complete the calc series before I begin my second year, though.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
scribkibs said:
I placed into the second highest math class (precalc), and I needed to place into calc in order to start intro physics.
Yep, Calc I is commonly a co- or pre-requisite for first semester intro physics. On the bright side, when you finally start intro physics, the calculus part should be pretty easy for you. At the schools I've studied or taught at, first-year intro physics uses calculus mainly to simplify things conceptually, and sticks to the simpler examples, from a problem-solving point of view. You probably won't deal with more than simple polynomials, trig and exponential functions.

For problem-solving at that level, it's more important to be good at algebraic manipulation. Aim to solve problems by combining the relevant equations symbolically, isolating the quantity/variable you want, and plugging in the numbers only at the very end. Don't fall into "serial numeric solutions", solving one equation numerically, then plugging the result into the next equation.

In higher-level courses, many or most of your problems will ask you to derive an equation, not calculate a number. You need to get practice in doing that.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. Why can't I take physics in my first year?

Physics is a subject that builds upon fundamental concepts and mathematical skills. It is recommended that students have a strong foundation in mathematics and science before taking physics. This is why most universities require students to take prerequisite courses before enrolling in physics.

2. Can I take physics in my first year if I have a strong math and science background?

It ultimately depends on the university and its requirements. Some universities may allow students to take physics in their first year if they have a strong background in math and science. It is important to check with your academic advisor to see if this is an option for you.

3. Will taking physics in my first year put me at a disadvantage?

Not necessarily. While it is recommended to have a strong foundation in math and science before taking physics, many students do take physics in their first year and are successful. It is important to put in the time and effort to understand the material and seek help when needed.

4. Can I take physics as an elective in my first year?

Again, this depends on the university's requirements. Some universities may allow students to take physics as an elective in their first year, while others may require it to be taken as a core course. It is important to check with your academic advisor to see what options are available to you.

5. What are the benefits of waiting to take physics until my second year?

Waiting to take physics until your second year can give you more time to strengthen your math and science skills, which will be beneficial for understanding the concepts in physics. Additionally, it may also allow you to take prerequisite courses that will better prepare you for physics. However, if you feel confident in your abilities and have a strong interest in physics, it may be possible to take it in your first year with the guidance of your academic advisor.