Stuck on an Escalator: Tales of Embarrassment and Laughter

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: Sometimes something can get jolted and start working again, even if briefly.Thanks BobG, I needed that.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I hate it when this happens:

Okay, actually I love it when this happens. :smile: This actually happened to me and my teenage daughter several years ago. I couldn't help but yell for help. My daughter wasn't sure whether to die of embarrassment or die of laughter.

I think it's worse when this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy2wmgBUSw&feature=related

Why would a store put their display so close to the escalator?

Why do they chain off broken escaltors anyway? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWNRr1ZFYuo&feature=related

And how do some people get so good at using the escalator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T75BbWE-i3I&feature=related
(boy, that just seems like an accident waiting to happen).

And how are some people so bad at using an escalator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvSp7e8K-M&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: Thanks BobG, I needed that.

1) They chain off broken ones because if people are on it and it starts up, they could fall over and sue for major cash.

2) I saw a guy fall over on the up escalator when at the airport a few weeks ago. What happened was he dropped something, wanted to pick it up, lost track of where he was and all hell broke loose.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is awesome!

Unfortunately the only time I ever saw someone fall on an escalator it was a 75 year old man who hit the metal stairs face first and was pretty messed up...

The only problem I have with escalators is when you get to the top (or bottom) in a place like an airport. For some reason, people think that's a good place to stop and greet the family or friends waiting for them, while those of us behind them have no place to go to get around them to get off the escalator. (Not much to do about it other than hold your suitcase in front of you as a battering ram to get past them. :devil:)

The last one with the rotating girl looks like it might have the potential for becoming an Olympic sport.

The Moving Parallel Balance Beams?

WarPhalange said:
1) They chain off broken ones because if people are on it and it starts up, they could fall over and sue for major cash.
If that were the reason, they wouldn't rely on a chain. They would glance at the escalator before turning it on to see if anyone was on it. At least to see if there were a lawyer on it.

:smile: Read the youtube comments on the old man!

thats a shame:(
that old guy probably fought in the war and were all laughing at him.
god bless our troops.

he got rick roll'd! XD

His stupidity defies the laws of gravity!

Might as well enjoy the ride.

I think you people are failing to see the real message here. It's about the struggle of an unborn baby making it's way through the falopian tube. Straddle the line...

hahaha, awesome comments, funny videos :smile:

jimmysnyder said:
If that were the reason, they wouldn't rely on a chain. They would glance at the escalator before turning it on to see if anyone was on it. At least to see if there were a lawyer on it.

Right. It turned off for reasons beyond control, ergo it won't turn on unless what? Sometimes something can get jolted and start working again, even if briefly.

For you or me it might not be a problem. But you take an old guy or something and they don't have the ninja reflexes we do.

That's why god created circuit breakers.

I was wondering who created those. :biggrin:

"Help the escalator broke" made me laugh.

Not seen the youtube videos yet, but the title of the thread brings some gruesome memories. Some time ago, in Delhi airport, there was a young girl who got stuck and fell into the base of the escalator and was chopped to death over a period of an hour or so

WarPhalange said:
Right. It turned off for reasons beyond control, ergo it won't turn on unless what? Sometimes something can get jolted and start working again, even if briefly.
They should turn off the equipment.

Escalators and wheelchairs

Here's how you go up and down the escalator in a wheelchair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuaevxHCRAo

Or, you can use the alternative method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB38l0hkAQo

In New Jersey, you're not legally allowed to use the escalator as a staircase when it's not operating. I have yet to get a satisfactory explanation for this

Office_Shredder said:
In New Jersey, you're not legally allowed to use the escalator as a staircase when it's not operating. I have yet to get a satisfactory explanation for this

Well, its moving stairs, right? If its broken and full of people, what's going to insure that the weight of the people doesn't make the thing rotate back down on itself?

1. What is "Stuck on an Escalator: Tales of Embarrassment and Laughter" about?

"Stuck on an Escalator: Tales of Embarrassment and Laughter" is a collection of short stories written by various authors about their experiences of getting stuck on escalators and the humorous and embarrassing situations that ensued.

2. Is this book based on true stories?

Yes, all of the stories in "Stuck on an Escalator: Tales of Embarrassment and Laughter" are based on real-life experiences of the authors.

3. Why did the authors choose to write about escalator mishaps?

The authors were inspired to write about escalator mishaps because they are relatable and often result in funny and memorable moments. They also wanted to share their stories and bring a sense of humor to a potentially embarrassing situation.

4. Are the stories in this book appropriate for all ages?

While some of the stories may contain mild language or themes, overall, the book is suitable for all ages. However, parental discretion is advised for younger readers.

5. Can I submit my own story to be included in future editions of this book?

Yes, the authors are always looking for new stories to include in future editions of "Stuck on an Escalator: Tales of Embarrassment and Laughter." You can submit your story through the book's official website or social media pages.