Conservation of Momentum of a can

In summary, the conversation discusses a YouTube video showing metronomes synchronizing their movements on a common board. The reason for this phenomenon is explained to be due to the conservation of angular momentum, coupled with resonance and non-linear behavior. This example is a good demonstration of mode-locking dynamics in coupled non-linear systems.
affordable

Homework Statement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1TMZASCR-I&feature=related
Why does this happen?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's because of the conservation of angular momentum moving the cans, but I'm still confused as to why the angles between the metronomes must be approximately equal after a short amount of time. I understand that it has to do with coupling effects and that they transfer energy in between the metronomes, but I'm having difficulty finding what coupling actually means.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably also have to consider resonance too, which for a forced linear oscillator means that the amplitude of the oscillator can increase a lot when the forcing frequency is near the resonance frequency, which for the depicted setup means a particular metronome will force other metronomes with a higher amplitude when it moves in synchronization with the common (forcing) board. For the metronomes to also change frequency to synchronize across each other you need them to be (at least) a bit non-linear so that the frequency of the metronome is coupled with its amplitude.

In general, you can expect find mode-locking dynamics in almost any set of coupled non-linear systems, but I must admit that this is a very neat and classroom-friendly example of such.

Probably wouldn't work with my wife's electronic metronome though :smile:

1. What is the conservation of momentum of a can?

The conservation of momentum of a can is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system where no external forces act upon it, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. In the case of a can, this means that the momentum of the can before and after a collision or other event will be the same.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a can?

The conservation of momentum applies to a can in the same way it applies to any other object. The momentum of a can is determined by its mass and velocity, and according to the conservation of momentum, this momentum will remain constant in the absence of external forces.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum of a can?

The conservation of momentum of a can is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the can, as well as any external forces acting upon it. In the case of a can rolling on a surface, friction can also play a role in altering the can's momentum.

4. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics and cannot be violated. In any closed system, the total momentum will always remain constant, regardless of any changes that may occur within the system.

5. How is the conservation of momentum used in real life situations?

The conservation of momentum is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in sports, engineering, and transportation. For example, the conservation of momentum is used in designing cars and other vehicles to ensure they have the necessary momentum to move and stop safely. In sports such as football, players use the principle of conservation of momentum to their advantage when tackling or throwing a ball. It is also used in rocket propulsion and other forms of transportation to ensure efficient movement.