Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on last part of class derivation (proof) K-G Eqn

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Mentor note: fixed formulas so they get displayed properly

If we take the K-G eqn and the following term for the wave function

$$( \partial^2 + \frac{m^{2}c^{2}}{\hbar^{2}})\Psi =0
    \\\\\Psi = Re^{-i\omega t + i k_{i}x_{i}}$$

We worked through to this ##\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}}## which is fine and recognisable, but I cant get the ##\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}## term to equal the familiar ##\rho^{2}c^{2}##. I'm assuming it's obvious and thats why he didnt show it, but I'm a bit stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit

he also did something similar here:

MB063El.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I don't understand your questions (and I didn't see something similar in the notes you uploaded)
    Momentum and frequencies are related via [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]...you can see this fast with some dimensional analysis.

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    Sorry, I'm trying to show that this $$\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}} $$ is the same as this:

emcpc.gif

edit which you have just solved, sorry and thanks!!

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Yup it is... use the DeBroglie relations: [itex]E= \hbar \omega[/itex] and [itex]p= \hbar k[/itex]
    since your wave function is expressed in terms of frequency/wavenumber instead of energy/momenta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook