Stuck on Problem: Need Help Understanding P & Equation

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: The question is asking for the potential energy of a final configuration formed by particles that start far apart and then come together. The relevant equation is ##u = \frac{1}{2}dm\varphi##, where ##m## is the mass of the particles and ##\varphi## is the gravitational potential. In summary, the question is about finding the potential energy of gravitational interaction in different configurations of matter.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Find the proper potential energy of gravitational interac-
tion of matter forming
(a) a thin uniform spherical layer of mass m and radius R;
(b) a uniform sphere of mass m and radius R
Relevant Equations
u = dm*p/2
Actually, i don't even started the solution because i am confused, i am not sure what the question is asking, i tried to see the solution, but it was using
1589698967164.png
, i don't know what that equation mean. Can you help me? P is like potential electricity, for gravitational force?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is:

Imagine a shell or sphere forming from particles that start far away from each other. The potential energy of the initial configuration is taken to be zero. What is the potential energy of the final configuration?

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Find the proper potential energy of gravitational interac-
tion of matter forming
(a) a thin uniform spherical layer of mass m and radius R;
(b) a uniform sphere of mass m and radius R
Relevant Equations:: u = dm*p/2

Actually, i don't even started the solution because i am confused, i am not sure what the question is asking, i tried to see the solution, but it was using View attachment 262916, i don't know what that equation mean. Can you help me? P is like potential electricity, for gravitational force?
It is not p, it is the Greek letter ##\varphi##. It represents the gravitational potential such that ##\vec g = - \nabla \varphi##, where ##\vec g## is the gravitational acceleration.

1. What is P in the equation?

P is a variable that represents the probability of an event occurring. It can range from 0 (impossible) to 1 (certain).

2. How do I solve for P in the equation?

To solve for P, you will need to have enough information to plug into the equation. Once you have all the necessary values, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate P on one side of the equation.

3. What does the equation represent?

The equation represents a mathematical relationship between the probability of an event occurring (P) and the number of possible outcomes (n). It is often used in statistics and probability to calculate the likelihood of an event happening.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use the equation?

Sure, let's say you want to find the probability of rolling a 6 on a standard six-sided die. The equation would be P = 1/6, where n = 6 (possible outcomes) and P = 1 (desired outcome). This means there is a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 6.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

The equation assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. If this is not the case, the equation may not accurately represent the probability of the event occurring. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of events and situations.