1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on simple constant accel. problem

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance between two points 70.0 meters apart in 7.00 seconds. It's speed as it passes the second point is 15 m/s.
    A] Find speed at first point. B] What is the acceleration?

From text University Physics 11th edition question 2.21 page 70
    Eqns of motion with constant acceleration
    Vx=Vox+AxT
    X=Xo+VoxT+1/2AxT
    Vx2=Vox2+2Ax(X-Xo)
    X-Xo=((Vox+Vx)/2)T

3. I have tried but nothing worth posting. I'm stuck on the fact that I cannot find how to use the average Velocity to find the instantaneous Velocity at point 1, Thank you!.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

You know T, Vx, and (X - X0). One of the four equations will allow to to determine V0x directly.

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Crap! For some reason I was stuck on having to find the original velocity by finding the limit as time went down to zero.... So I was plugging in 0.01, 0.001 and was getting ridiculous answers. Thank you! I've posted one more problem I cannot seem to get my head around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook