What is the final velocity of a stone thrown downwards from a roof?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reth0407
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Reth0407
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A person throws a stone vertically downward with an initial speed of 16.0m/s from the roof of a building 58.2m above the ground.
What velocity does the stone have at impact?


Homework Equations



initial x= 58.2m initial vox=16.0m/s ax= 9.81m/s^2 xfinal=0 vx=?

2a(x-xo)=vx^2-vox^2 to find t= 3.88

vx=vox+axt plug in a number including t=3.88 vx= 54.1



The Attempt at a Solution


2 attempts with only 2 attempts left. Please help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Simplest way is use nergy conservation: initial kinetic energy + loss of potential energy = final kinetic energy.

Other way: v = v0+ gt
h = ∫v(t)dt = v0t + gt2/2 & solve for t = time of fall
h = height of building
Then stick t into the v equation above.
 
I am still confused on how I would plug the numbers because the instructor have me equations with v and x variables. However, are my numbers correct for time=3.88 s and my vx = 54.1 m/s which I'm sure isn't correct. I'm solving for vx
 
Reth0407 said:

Homework Statement


A person throws a stone vertically downward with an initial speed of 16.0m/s from the roof of a building 58.2m above the ground.
What velocity does the stone have at impact?


Homework Equations



initial x= 58.2m initial vox=16.0m/s ax= 9.81m/s^2 xfinal=0 vx=?

2a(x-xo)=vx^2-vox^2 to find t= 3.88
t doesn't appear in the equation, so how do you obtain t from it :confused: (Also, that doesn't look like a correct value for t for this situation).

However, you can use that equation to find the final velocity, vx. Rearrange the equation to solve for vx.
 
Ok I got it! LIke gneill said, I could rearrange the equation and solve for vx. Thank you all.