Stuck on this downhill skiier problem help

• Thread starter Cornraker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the problem asks for the minimum distance a skier would have to travel on a 30 degree ski slope, starting from rest and reaching a speed of 56 m/s, if friction is ignored. The solution involves finding the acceleration along the slope and using the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as to solve for the distance.
Cornraker

Homework Statement

A sker reaches a speed of 56 m/s on a 30 degree ski slope. Ignoring friction, what was the minimum distance along the slope the skier would have had to travel, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

Which equation do i start with? I'm pretty sure i have to find the x-y component of the acceleration but I'm not sure I'm flat out stuck on this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

If i draw a right triangle, and the opposite leg is -9.8 m/s do i use sin30 to find the acceleration down the slope?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can resolve it in a way that is parallel and perpendicular to the ski slope. So find acceleration and then use the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as to solve it.

i figured it out. it was two steps

1. How do you solve the "Stuck on this downhill skiier problem"?

The best way to solve this problem is to carefully analyze the situation and come up with a plan. First, assess the terrain and determine the safest route to descend. Then, use your ski poles to create a stable platform and release your ski bindings. Once you have a solid footing, slowly shuffle your way down the slope.

2. What should I do if I can't release my ski bindings?

If you are unable to release your ski bindings, try using a ski pole or other object to help push down on the release mechanism. If this does not work, you may need to remove your skis entirely and hike down the slope on foot.

3. What are some precautions I should take to avoid getting stuck in this situation?

To avoid getting stuck on a downhill slope, always make sure your bindings are adjusted correctly and that you have the necessary equipment and knowledge to handle different terrain. It is also important to always ski with a partner and communicate your plans and location.

4. What should I do if I am injured while stuck on a downhill slope?

If you are injured while stuck on a downhill slope, it is important to try and stay calm and assess the severity of your injury. If possible, call for help and try to keep yourself warm until assistance arrives. If your injury is serious, do not attempt to move and wait for trained professionals to assist you.

5. Can I prevent my skis from getting stuck in deep snow?

To prevent your skis from getting stuck in deep snow, make sure to keep your weight evenly distributed and avoid sudden movements or sharp turns. Additionally, using powder baskets on your ski poles can help prevent them from sinking too deep into the snow.