Stuck with a gas expansion problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the work done by an ideal gas during an isothermal expansion, calculating the work done in a specific scenario, and determining the magnitude and direction of heat flow during the process. The first part of the question is answered by using the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law to calculate the work done, while the second part is completed by taking into account the number of moles present. However, there is still uncertainty about how to calculate the heat flow and further assistance is requested.
jeebs
Hi, i think I've got the first part of this question done but I am stuck with the rest, so i'll post the lot in case you think i have the first part wrong.

a) Derive and expression for the work done by an ideal gas when it expands isothermally at temperature T from a volume V1 to V2.

b) calculate the work done when T = 25 degrees C and V2 = 3V1.

c) calculate the magnitude and direction of the flow of heat during the above process.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my attempt. for the first part, i am imagining a gas expanding like burning petrol in a car engine, the gas is forcing the piston of area A a distance x along the cylinder:

a) work done dW = F.dx (work = force x displacement).

F = pA (force = pressure x area). change in volume dV = A.dx

therefore dW = pA.dx = p.dV, so W = ∫ p.dV

and since pV = nRT we can write that W = nRT∫(1/V).dV = (nRT).ln(V)

so, W = (nRT).ln(V2) - (nRT).ln(V1) = nRT.ln(V2/V1).
b) to calculate the work done, i plugged the numbers into the equation (the ln(V2/V1) part becomes ln(3) ) but i do not know the number of moles, therefore i am stuck with the n term.

the closest i can get to an answer is 2720.58 Joules per mole.

can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: apologies, it turns out that my problem sheet had information missing from it. there was one mole of gas present, n=1.
so part b) is completed.
c) i have no idea how to do this.
does anyone know what i have to do? i am very grateful for any help.

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the first law of thermodynamics.
Hint: Isothermal process, ideal gas. what is the change in internal energy?

1. What is a gas expansion problem?

A gas expansion problem refers to a situation in which a gas is allowed to expand within a confined space. This can occur in various contexts, such as in a container or in a chemical reaction, and can be described and analyzed using principles of thermodynamics and gas laws.

2. What are the factors that affect gas expansion?

The factors that affect gas expansion include pressure, volume, temperature, and the type of gas. As the pressure on a gas increases, its volume decreases, and vice versa. Additionally, increasing the temperature of a gas will cause it to expand, and different gases have different properties that affect their expansion.

3. How is gas expansion related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all related, is directly related to gas expansion. This law can be used to predict the behavior of a gas as it expands, as well as to calculate the change in any of the gas's properties during expansion.

4. What are some real-world applications of gas expansion problems?

Gas expansion problems have many real-world applications, including in the design of engines and other machinery that use gases, in the production and storage of compressed gases, and in the study of atmospheric phenomena such as weather patterns. Understanding gas expansion is also crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

5. How can gas expansion problems be solved?

Gas expansion problems can be solved using various mathematical equations and principles, such as the ideal gas law, Boyle's law, and Charles's law. These equations can be used to calculate the change in pressure, volume, or temperature of a gas during expansion, or to determine the final state of the gas after expansion. Additionally, experimental data and computer simulations can also be used to solve gas expansion problems.