Heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle

In summary, the ideal diatomic gas undergoes an elliptic cyclic process characterized by the following points in a ##PV## diagram: (3/2P_1, V1), (2P_1, (V1+V2)/2), (3/2P_1, V2), (P_1, (V1+V2)/2). The efficiency of this engine setting ##P_1=1## and ##P_2= 2P_1## is 90%.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Evaluate the efficiency of this engine
Relevant Equations
The equation for an ellipse:

##\frac{(x-x_o)^2}{a^2} + \frac{(y-y_o)^2}{b^2} = 1##
An ideal diatomic gas undergoes an elliptic cyclic process characterized by the following points in a ##PV## diagram:

$$(3/2P_1, V1)$$
$$(2P_1, (V1+V2)/2)$$
$$(3/2P_1, V2)$$
$$(P_1, (V1+V2)/2)$$This system is used as a heat engine (converting the added heat into mechanical work).

Evaluate the efficiency of this engine setting ##P_1=1## and ##P_2= 2P_1##

We know that the efficiency is defined as the benefit/cost ratio:

$$e = \frac{W}{Q_h}$$

Let's focus first on the work done by the engine; the work done by the working substance is the area under the ##PV## graph. Then:

$$W = \pi (P_2 - P_1)(V_2 - V_1)$$

$$W = \pi P_1(V_2 - V_1)$$

My problems come when calculating ##Q_h##; I have been told an analytic method: https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...at-engine-which-undergoes-an-elliptical-cycle . But I am convinced there has to be an easier one...

I have been thinking I have been thinking about how I could make an analogy with the same problem but with a rectangular shape (which is much easier to solve).

Physics news on Phys.org
The rectangle that circumscribes the ellipse has area ##\Delta P \Delta V##. Your expression for ##W## is ##\pi## times that. That can't possibly be correct.

vela said:
The rectangle that circumscribes the ellipse has area ##\Delta P \Delta V##. Your expression for ##W## is ##\pi## times that. That can't possibly be correct.

It is for the ellipse (my question). I have just mentioned the rectangle as an example. However, the exercise is about an ellipse cycle

You missed the point.

Sorry I realized that:

It 's wrong. Instead we have:

$$W=\text{Area}=\pi\left(\frac{s-1}2V_1\right)\left(\frac{r-1}2P_1\right)$$

Where ##s## and ##r ## are the volume and pressure compression ratios respectively.

JD_PM said:
I have been thinking I have been thinking about how I could make an analogy with the same problem but with a rectangular shape (which is much easier to solve).
Once you solve the problem properly for the elliptical cycle, it will be possible to identify what would be considered an equivalent rectangular cycle with the same efficiency and the same center (for whatever that might be worth).

Likes JD_PM

1. What is a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle?

A heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle is a thermodynamic system that converts heat energy into mechanical work by undergoing a series of processes in an elliptical path on a pressure-volume diagram.

2. How does a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle work?

A heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle works by taking in heat from a high temperature source, expanding and doing work on its surroundings, then rejecting heat to a low temperature sink. This process is repeated in an elliptical path, with the engine's efficiency depending on the temperature difference between the source and sink.

3. What are the main components of a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle?

The main components of a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle include a high temperature source, a low temperature sink, a working fluid, and a piston-cylinder system. The working fluid is usually a gas that undergoes a series of thermodynamic processes, such as isothermal and adiabatic expansions and compressions, to convert heat energy into mechanical work.

4. What is the efficiency of a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle?

The efficiency of a heat engine undergoing an elliptical cycle is given by the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is also known as the Carnot efficiency, and is dependent on the temperature difference between the source and sink. The higher the temperature difference, the higher the efficiency of the engine.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat engines undergoing elliptical cycles?

Some real-life applications of heat engines undergoing elliptical cycles include internal combustion engines, such as car engines, and steam engines. These engines use the principles of thermodynamics to convert heat energy into mechanical work, making them essential in transportation, power generation, and other industries.