Stuck with a simple induction problem

In summary, to prove that the number of 0s in a sequence consisting of 0 and 1, where you start with 1 and no consecutive 0s are allowed, is never greater than the number of 1s, a strong induction approach is taken. By breaking the string into fragments and considering the smallest possible string with more 0s than 1s, it can be shown that such a string cannot exist, thus proving the desired statement.
leden
Suppose you are building a sequence consisting of 0 and 1 in such a way that:
- you start with 1
- no consecutive 0s are allowed
Examples of such sequences are: 1, 1010, 110111101 etc. Empty sequence is also allowed.

I want to prove by induction that the number of 0s in such a sequence is never greater than the number of 1s.

(Btw, I managed to prove that the length of such a sequence is at least the number of 1s inside, but I am not sure that the proof for this is any similar to this one.)

I tried almost every form of induction I could think of (except nested induction), but simply couldn't prove it. Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try strong induction and break the string of length k into fragments.

If a string with more 0's then 1's is possible, there has to be a smallest string.
It must have a length at least 3, because 1, 10 and 11 are the only possible smaller strings, and they don't have more 0's then ones

This string can't have the form x1, because x would also have more 0s then 1s, so it must end in a 0.

The string can't end with 2 zero's because no consecutive 0's are allowed, so the string must have the form x10. If x10 has more zero's then ones, then so has x, which isn't possible, because x was the smallest string with more zeros then ones.

1. What is a simple induction problem?

A simple induction problem is a type of mathematical proof that involves using a series of logical steps to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It typically follows the format of proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for a particular number, it is also true for the next number.

2. How do I approach solving a simple induction problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the statement that needs to be proven. Then, start by proving the base case, which is usually the statement for the smallest natural number. Next, assume that the statement is true for a particular number and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next number. This process can then be repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

3. Can a simple induction problem be proven using other methods?

Yes, a simple induction problem can also be proven using other methods such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by contrapositive. However, the simple induction method is often the most straightforward and efficient way to prove statements about natural numbers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple induction problem?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving the base case. It is also important to make sure that the logical steps used in the proof are valid and that each step follows logically from the previous one. Additionally, be careful not to assume that the statement is true for a larger number than the one being proven.

5. Are there any tips for improving my skills in solving simple induction problems?

Practice is key when it comes to improving skills in solving simple induction problems. It is also helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and to check each step carefully for validity. Additionally, studying and understanding examples of simple induction proofs can help in developing a better understanding of the process.