Direct Proofs regarding Induction

CGandC
Summary:: .

When asked to prove by Induction, I'm asked to prove a statement of the form:
Prove that for all natural numbers ##n##, ## P(n) ##
Which means to prove: ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ## ( suppose the universe of discourse is all the natural numbers )

Then, I see people translating the above statement to the following statement:

## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n ( P(n) ) ##
And this is what they are proving. And eventually they say " therefore, it was proven that ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ## by induction "

However, I don't really understand this. This is why:

Let's denote the statement ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ## as ## W ##.
To prove ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ## by induction means to prove ## W ## .

Let's denote the statement ## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) ## as ## Q ##.
To prove ## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n ( P(n) ) ## means to prove ## Q \rightarrow W ##

Now's the problem:

If we prove ## Q \rightarrow W ## then we only prove this implication, we are not proving ## W ##.
Meaning, we are only proving ## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n ( P(n) ) ## .
And not ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ##

So how can it be that the problem of proving ## \forall n ( P(n) ) ## is translated into the problem ## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n P(n) ## ? Because they are both different statements and thus proving these are different proofs.

Answers and Replies

SSequence
It seems that you are making it more complicated than it is. I think the basic point is that ##Q \rightarrow W## can be seen as "truth" of predicate logic so to speak. When we are doing proof by induction, our reasoning is of this kind:
1-- We have proven ##Q## to be true
2-- ##Q \rightarrow W## is known to be true

3-- Therefore ##W## is true.

=====================

There is one further small point that comes to my mind.

If we are talking about a first-order theory with domain of discourse as ##\mathbb{N}## then we can write the statement of "induction" exactly as you wrote:
## P(0) \land \forall n ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n [ P(n) ] ##

But if we are, say, talking about a first-order theory (say with single-sort) with domain of discourse that is bigger than ##\mathbb{N}##, then we would have to explicitly write [i.e. if we are being more precise]:
## P(0) \land \forall n \in \mathbb{N} \, ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n \in \mathbb{N} \, [ P(n) ] ##

Likes mfb and CGandC
CGandC
It seems that you are making it more complicated than it is. I think the basic point is that ##Q \rightarrow W## can be seen as "truth" of predicate logic so to speak. When we are doing proof by induction, our reasoning is of this kind:
1-- We have proven ##Q## to be true
2-- ##Q \rightarrow W## is known to be true

3-- Therefore ##W## is true.

Now it makes sense, Thanks. I couldn't have thought that the above 3 statements are interwoven one after another so as to use modus ponens.

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With induction, you prove both parts of the conjunction in the antecedent. ##P(0)## is the base step that you prove and ##\forall n(P(n)\rightarrow P(n+1))## is the inductive step that you prove. The statement:
$$[P(0)\wedge \forall n(P(n)\rightarrow P(n+1))]\rightarrow \forall nP(n)$$
is an axiom: the axiom of induction (of which there is one for each predicate). When you prove the base step and the inductive step, the axiom of induction let's you conclude ##\forall nP(n)## by modus ponens.

SSequence
The statement:
$$[P(0)\wedge \forall n(P(n)\rightarrow P(n+1))]\rightarrow \forall nP(n)$$
is an axiom: the axiom of induction (of which there is one for each predicate). When you prove the base step and the inductive step, the axiom of induction let's you conclude ##\forall nP(n)## by modus ponens.
Essentially, you are right. We can always add a statement like:
## P(0) \land \forall n \in \mathbb{N} \, ( P(n) \rightarrow P(n+1) ) \rightarrow \forall n \in \mathbb{N} \, [ P(n) ] ##
as an axiom if we want to.

Though in many number of cases (e.g. in set theory) it would be a theorem [that follows from axioms (or axiom schemas I suppose?) and rules of deduction].

But anyway, I don't think this distinction makes a difference in applying it in actual math. The point being that its truth is what matters.

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Induction is an axiom in Peano arithmetic.

Likes jim mcnamara, Svein and SSequence

Suggested for: Direct Proofs regarding Induction

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Changing the Statement Combinatorial proofs & Contraposition
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views