1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Study materials for Investment Portfolio Manager position?

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    I recently got my B.S. in Physics and began applying to various entry-level analytical jobs. An investment management firm is going to give me a 3 hour test online. The subjects are as follows:

Brokerage Firm Case Study
    Excel
    Data Proofing
    Logic

I feel comfortable self studying vlook ups and pivot tables in excel and going over brain teasers for the logic section but I am completely lost on what materials I should study for Brokerage Firm Case Study and Data Proofing. The only thing I can think of is to read a ton of case studies and try to understand the goals/methods used. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have two weeks to prepare and work a full time sales job and part time bar job so I'm also wondering if this is a realistic goal.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2
    For the data proofing, I would do a search for data cleaning on the web and then create and memorize a list of typical data issues to look for. When working with data you're familiar with, most of data cleaning is pretty intuitive, but having a system can help you handle data you're unfamiliar with in a more systematic way.

Can't help much with the brokerage firm case study, but those problems often boil down to a combination of finance (e.g. TVM) and basic math (e.g. probability). Have you looked on the web for some sample problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted