Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study of brane decay that results in a brane/antibrane pair ?

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    study of brane decay that results in a brane/antibrane "pair"?

I have heard of anti-branes and have a few questions. Has there to anyone's knowledge been any study of brane decay that results in a brane/antibrane "pair"? Is such theoretically possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2
    Since no one seems to have any information on the subject, I would like to asked for others input into a subject I have pondered for some time now.

I envisioned long ago a homogenous brane that filled space similar to what these distinguished scholors are hypothesizing:

http://www.physorg.com/news63041667.html

But unlike the decay being into billions of closed strings, I envision a decay of this space-filling infinate brane into two oppositely charged branes that collide due to electrodynamic attraction. Which yeilds this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekpyrotic

These two branes must have had differing electromagnetic frequencies or else they would have moved through one another. Or some form of geometical difference that would produce friction.

I do not have any firm resolve as to what the annihilation produces, my guess would be given the limitations of c, any annihilation would produce particle like formations. How these particles interact with the local energy of the two brains would also generate unique particles

Please, comments and criticisms of the idea are highly encouraged.

4. Jul 7, 2007 #3
    I didn´t read any technichal paper about the ekirotropic scenary, only readed descriptive posts about it.

Out of that scenary I can say a few things, but I can´t claim to be an expert. First recall what an antibrane is. One one side an antibrane would a brane with oposite orientantion. If we consider the branes as belonging to type II theory that d-branes, if stable, would be charged under the antisymmetric R-R fields of the strings with the same,but oposite in sing, charges. Like the net charge of the brane + antibrane is 0 ths system could anhilate.

I must say that these description of what an antibrane is I guess that must be related to taking the oposite sign in time in the Dirac-born-Infield action which describes the brane (which in las instance describe the bran in terms of the open string which ends on that brane) but I naver have seen the expliti construction nor I have tried myself the explicit calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?