Studying Abroad - Semester Exchange

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of attending a university on exchange that is not partnered with one's home university, specifically in Germany for the study of mechanical engineering. The individual is considering contacting specific universities and inquiring about tuition fees and costs of living. They also mention the advantages of attending certain universities and the average living costs in Darmstadt. It is recommended to email the universities for more information. The conversation ends with a brief mention of the location of Darmstadt and its proximity to Frankfurt Airport.
Sirsh
Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has any information on how someone is able to attend a university on exchange that is not partnered with their home university? I am from Australia and my university has ties with many universities, however, I want to potentially go on exchange in Germany to study mechanical engineering.

My university charges me for the classes/units I do internationally at the same rate as I am charged at home, and also gives me credit for the units in replace of the ones I would have done if I hadn't gone on exchange.

They do have 7 partnerships in Germany, though none of these are at the quality or location that I'm interested in.

What would the process be to study at an international university without the aid of my university? would I need to pay upfront and have the possibility of not have recognition of what I've potentially studied abroad? or is this something that can only be answered by my university.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have special institutes in mind (may I ask which ones?) why don't just ask them? Write letters for I think emails are too easy to answer without thinking about it or too easy to delete. Usually the main difficulties are the different standards in countries at the beginning of the process. That's behind you. So you should write either a university's / FH's / TU's / TH's secretariat or - if you know one - a professor.

You may also have a look at http://www.australien.diplo.de/Vertretung/australien/en/Startseite.html.

Likes billy_joule
fresh_42 said:
If you have special institutes in mind (may I ask which ones?) why don't just ask them? Write letters for I think emails are too easy to answer without thinking about it or too easy to delete. Usually the main difficulties are the different standards in countries at the beginning of the process. That's behind you. So you should write either a university's / FH's / TU's / TH's secretariat or - if you know one - a professor.

You may also have a look at http://www.australien.diplo.de/Vertretung/australien/en/Startseite.html.

I'm intersted in either TU Berlin or TU Darmstadt. I'll take your advice and draft letters to the respective universities.

Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to have a look into it :)

Some of the universities have a 'semester fee' is that what they charge for tuition per semester? as it is quite low, sub 300 euro.

Darmstadt has the advantage that GSI and ESA is there. Also addresses that possibly could be contacted.
Maybe one day it's you to start the 8th row :wink:

Last edited:
Sirsh said:
Some of the universities have a 'semester fee' is that what they charge for tuition per semester? as it is quite low, sub 300 euro.
I know there is a small administration fee. Part of it pays because of cheaper public transport and alike. But I don't know actual numbers.

fresh_42 said:
Darmstadt has the advantage that GSI and ESA is there. Also addresses that possibly could be contacted.

Wow I did not know that either of those were there, the GSI is quite impressive.

fresh_42 said:
I know there is a small administration fee. Part of it pays because of cheaper public transport and alike. But I don't know actual numbers.

On one of their web pages for international students, they have this:

General Calculation of costs to study in Darmstadt
Rent ca. 350 – 400 Euro
Statutory health insurance
(including long-term care insurance) ca. 80,00 Euro
Food, Clothing ca. 400 Euro
Learning materials ca. 50,00 Euro
Phone, Internet, etc. ca. 35 – 50 Euro
Semester fee (semi-annual) actual 263,21 Euro

The estimated and required financial requirements of ~8,000 euro is okay (self-funded) but I'm curious if the semester fee is the coverage of tuition. It's probably best to just email them about this isn't it?

Sirsh said:
Wow I did not know that either of those were there, the GSI is quite impressive.
On one of their web pages for international students, they have this:

General Calculation of costs to study in Darmstadt
Rent ca. 350 – 400 Euro
Statutory health insurance
(including long-term care insurance) ca. 80,00 Euro
Food, Clothing ca. 400 Euro
Learning materials ca. 50,00 Euro
Phone, Internet, etc. ca. 35 – 50 Euro
Semester fee (semi-annual) actual 263,21 Euro

The estimated and required financial requirements of ~8,000 euro is okay (self-funded) but I'm curious if the semester fee is the coverage of tuition. It's probably best to just email them about this isn't it?
Those numbers are average living costs per month, except the last. Many students have a smaller job to earn some money.

fresh_42 said:
Those numbers are average living costs per month, except the last. Many students have a smaller job to earn some money.

And the last would be what a german national pays for their university education on a semester basis?

Sirsh said:
And the last would be what a german national pays for their university education on a semester basis?
The semester fee depends on the university or TU in this case. It's basically a fee for being enrolled. As its name says it's due per semester, so twice a year. But with it you can get cheaper tickets for public buses and trams and museums and such things. Btw. Darmstadt is just 40 km south of Frankfurt Airport.

1. What is a semester exchange program?

A semester exchange program is an educational opportunity where students can study at a university or college in a different country for one semester. This allows students to experience a new culture, learn from different perspectives, and immerse themselves in a new environment.

2. How long does a semester exchange program typically last?

A semester exchange program typically lasts for one academic semester, which is usually around 3-4 months. However, some programs may last longer, depending on the specific country and university.

3. What are the benefits of studying abroad through a semester exchange program?

Studying abroad through a semester exchange program offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to gain cultural awareness and understanding, improve language skills, expand academic and professional networks, and develop independence and adaptability.

4. Can I receive academic credit for courses taken during a semester exchange program?

Yes, most universities and colleges offer academic credit for courses taken during a semester exchange program. However, it is important to check with your home institution and the host institution to ensure that the credits will transfer.

5. How do I apply for a semester exchange program?

The application process for a semester exchange program varies depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, students need to complete an application, provide transcripts and letters of recommendation, and may also need to write essays or provide a statement of purpose. It is important to start the application process early and follow all instructions carefully.